Machine drags with ruler base on

Hello all,

When the APQS ruler base is on , the sewing machine drags in certain places no matter where the machine head is on the table.  I have taken the entire table/system apart twice and re-set it up and the dragging continues.  I'm thinking of looking for a smaller ruler base.  Please advise.  Thank you, Jamie Bennett

Jamie

Look to see if the drag is happening when the head is near the leveler bar.  Can you get a finger up to the first knuckle between the base and the bar with a quilt on the machine?  If not you probably  should raise the bar.  If you have a round leg table it is very easy to do, undo the bolt holding bar to the heim joint on the left side (should only be hand tight) and remove the bar, loosen the jam nut on the heim joint and unscrew the joint a couple of turns and tighten the jam nut back up.  Do the same for the heim joint on the right side exactly the same number of turns  then reinstall the roller and you should be good to go.  If you have the quilt too loose it could be dragging on the base as well.  I believe the table would have left the factory to work with the Hartley base but if you have added a Circle Lord or upgraded the wheels the machine height may have changed.

Nigel

Well Nigel,  you are my hero today.  It was actually the top pick up roller that was binding the ruler base.  I followed your instructions and raised up the top pick up and the leveler bar both (with a quilt on it) and it's seems to have made a huge improvement.  I need to quilt from edge to edge and front to back with a ruler to be confident but so far its smooth.  The stitches look nicer too.  Was this procedure in the manual somewhere that I missed?  I've been trying to fix this issue for two years now with a lot of frustration.    I can't believe it was that simple.  Thank you so much.  I greatly appreciate this support.

Jamie

Archived