Buying a used machine?

I am looking at a used APQS this weekend. It's about 3 or 4 years old. An Ultimate. No stitch regulator. 12 foot table and 24 inch throat. What questions should I ask? How can I find out what a fair price would be? Can I add a stitch regulator some time if I wanted to? I have never owned or used a long arm. Any advice would be truly appreciated.

You did not mention which Ultimate this machine is I or II. the Ultimate I is the forerunnerer for the Freedom and it has a hopping foot. The Ult II is the forerunner of the Discovery and it has a presser foot. Does it have a steel table or wood? Does it have a single stitch and needle positioner , a thread cutter? These options affect the value. You can add a aftermarket stitch regulator but you would need to consider the cost. If may not be a good investment. Click on search on the blue bar and enter Ult 1 or II, or for sale. this will give you a idea what prices are being ask for them.

You can call the factort with the S/N and they can tell you when it was made.

John

You didn't say which it is a Ultimate I or Ultimate II....I'll assume its the II as that has 24" throat, and its what I have, and you didn't mention the 1 stitch button which the ULTI's have.

Mine is about 11 years old and is a work horse...if these machines are well maintained and taken care of they not only hold their value they won't leave you walking.

I have had a recent issue with timing, but that was MY failure not the machines. I was to scared to get in there thinking I would mess something up worse and in fact did. It took me several weeks....of playing here and there before I finally got it and now works like a charm. Also I need to say that once I did it, its a snap and I feel pretty silly not learning how to do it sooner.:cool:

You asked what a fair price would be.....there isn't a "Blue Book" to just look up a price. Darn I wish there was, but no luck there. It seems that they are going from $3500 to $5000 depending on area and how much the buyer is willing to pay, are there any extras that you will be getting with the machine...thread, extra bobbins, batting misc stuff? Does she have the white Edgerider Wheels on it....those cost $160. I would think it depends on the extra as to what would be a fair price. You say that its 3-4 years old...now was it new 3-4 years ago, or did she buy it used 3-4 years ago...you can check with APQS when you get the serial number to get its actual birth date. The serial number is behind the pressure foot bar under the machine...you almost have to stand on your head to look behind the bar to see it.

I would ask to play with the machine...you state that you have never used a long arm....I will tell you right now its a learning curve...you will not just stand there and make beautiful stitches the first time out. Ask her how to hold the handles, ask how fast she goes and have her show you what it can do. Just play 20 questions as you think of them, but most importantly play with the machine, get a feel for it and how it runs. And don't just go in and stay a minute or two...play for at least an hour to give yourself time to play and to think of the questions you need answered.

Ask about maintance....how she take care of it, has it gone back to APQS for any repairs and what they were....how many quilts has she quilted since she had it.....if lots 200 or so have been sewn with this machine....grab just above the needle on the needle bar an see if there is any play in the bar. There shouldn't be any play and if you get any slack there, that is a sign that the needle bar is either in need of repair or going to soon...that is a costly item and it must go back to APQS if you aren't mechanically minded.

You asked if a stitch regulator can be added....no not at this time from APQS, but there is an after market one that can be put on at any time you have the need.

Good luck and if you have any other questions between now and this weekend I will try to answe them. Good Luck you will love the machine...they are sound and worth the investment.

Hey Bonnie, Are you talking about the little tag as the serial number.

Up underneath the face of the machine, like where the needle area is??

If you are then I will have to call and find out about mine. I thought

that was the year is was manufactured.

Thanks Michele

To Jans, I have an Ultimate II and LOVE it. The price was in my range

and I am very happy I got it. But now that Bonnie pointed out that

the serial number might not be what I thought it was, I'm not sure

how old it is.

Just play with it if possible. And you will know if you fall in LOVE. LOL

Michele

The Ult's are workhorses as are all of the APQS machines. They do hold their value very well. Depending on the added features the machine has the more it is worth. One can sell in their machine outright will get more for it than trading in. I hate to use the comparison but just like a car.

Bonnie LOL WOW :) you gave some good answers!

APQS does "kind of" have a blue book as far as trade in. That is why one is as for the serial number and the year of the machine.

One can learn to quilt perfect or pretty close to it without a stitch regulator it is just practice and learning how to control your machine.

Jans. you will love the ULT . It is a learning curve and at some point you may decide to upgrade to a stitch regulated machine. Until then do try out the machine get a feel for it. Ask questions of the owner and here. If it is your price range and it feel right then do it.

Myrna

I guess that couldn't be a year the machine was made huh. LOL

Mine is in the same area but stamped on a metal plate. It says

1981 that is why I thought it was a year. I had read that somewhere

else on the board.

I'll have to email APQS and see what they have to say. Just because

I'm curious. Thanks

Michele

Oh I don't know 1981 could have been a great year for machines....and what a easy number to remember. Mine was born in 1995 I think or 1996, I got it in the fall of 1997 used I don't know how many times I've had to crawl under mine to check it...can't seem to remember it for beans.:P May we both have many many more years of happy sewing.:D

I think I paid 3300 last year for an Ultimate 2 with no Edgerider wheels. It had been back to the facorty for a overhaul the previous year. I am happy with it and now I can't wait to get the new foot that will allow me to do rulers. I bought the one from Gadget Girls but it is too big for many rulers so I never even put it on.

Archived