Rotary Cutter Blades

For the last several years I've bought my rotary cutter blades (45mm) from The Sewing Palace but looks like they may have closed. 

Where do you folks buy your blades?  They are so expensive to buy name brand like Olfa, etc.  I was very happy with the ones I've been buying. 

On another quilting forum I googled the same question and many said they got the ones that Harbor Freight carries.  Some liked them...some didn't but for the price I thought I would try them....I had to order them online since my store didn't have any.  Even if they don't last quite as long as the name brand at $1.00 per blade I can't go wrong...HOPEFULLY.  We'll see.  I'm a bit of a tightwad so I hate spending money on something that is going to wear out pretty soon anyway and have to throw it out.

I prefer the Olfa, but only buy them with 40-50% off coupons at JoAnns and HobbyLobby.  Michaels may also have coupons.   I saw info on the Quilter's Cut blades on FB and bought them because of the price.  I think they are good blades for the price.  The seem a little thinner than the Olfa but can't tell a difference in the cutting.  I have a mix match of the different blades in my cutters so I think I'll do a comparison on how long each lasts before going dull.  I think you will be fine either way.

I had this same question, I was tired of replacing blades after only a short time and some blades even from the same package didn't seem equal.  So a friend gave me a Martelli cutter to try, that had the guard broke, guess she didn't think about replacement parts.  I contacted the company and they sent me a new guard, spring, and a new bolt, at no cost to me.  When she gave it to me she put in a new blade and that was two months ago, It is still cutting well.  I just finished (almost) Bonnie Hunter's On Ringo Lake among other smaller projects,  so I have used it a fair amount.  I am not necessarily sold on the cutter's ergonomics, but the design of the cutter may increase the life of the blade.  Maybe????  This is my first blade experience so time will tell.

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

I order my blades from Amazon, and have been happy with them. I don’t remember the brand (it was not a name brand), but the price was much better than Joann’s with a coupon. When I was at MQX New England last year, one of the vendors was using a titanium blade and said they lasted a long time. I didn’t buy any at the time and have not seen any. Of course I haven’t looked too hard, since I still have blades. 

Deb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/17/2018 at 12:20 AM, Plumpurple said:

I had this same question, I was tired of replacing blades after only a short time and some blades even from the same package didn't seem equal.  So a friend gave me a Martelli cutter to try, that had the guard broke, guess she didn't think about replacement parts.  I contacted the company and they sent me a new guard, spring, and a new bolt, at no cost to me.  When she gave it to me she put in a new blade and that was two months ago, It is still cutting well.  I just finished (almost) Bonnie Hunter's On Ringo Lake among other smaller projects,  so I have used it a fair amount.  I am not necessarily sold on the cutter's ergonomics, but the design of the cutter may increase the life of the blade.  Maybe????  This is my first blade experience so time will tell.

Sharon

Yes, I realize that's an old topic, still decided to share a piece of advice. Just in case someone will stuck upon this thread with the same question.
I think you need to look at how it feels in your hand. They have a little different feel to them - and It depends on the person, also the size of your hand. Go to a quilt shop and ask to hold them like you are going to use them.
I use Fiskars (two different sizes), and have never had trouble with them. I started with them because they were more cost effective even than Olfa (which is another good brand: both the cutter itself and replacement blades). Though I know a lot of sewists who prefer Martelli, but they are so expensive comparing to other options. So once again, it will take some time to choose a cutter with a proper handle, try it first before ordering one. 

Just in case: whichever brand you choose, please, be extreeeeemely careful with the blades - they are as sharp as surgical tools! A good friend of mine got some stitches because of it.