Wondering

I have a question for those that might know. I recently saw a quilt I quilted hanging in a quilt show. I was disappointed to see how the quilting seem to have disappeared after the owner had washed it. The after pic did not turn out very well but my question. Is there something I could do differently to make for a better quilting look? I used white glide thread and my stitch length was 11. I don’t know but do most of the quilts in a show get washed. Just looking at them their quilting seems to show so well. I hope someone can share what I need to know to get a better result.D50CD5D2-348E-4F81-9E1B-EE7BE41EA8DF.jpeg.cf1681ae0ff0d747a5795626dcf67a44.jpeg0C31EEE2-EFD8-4632-B6E8-F44F5DA3B85F.jpeg.580d7124dd07263d6551d20737b72bf5.jpeg

A couple of things would help. It looks like the quilt shrunk when it was washed and that crinkled look (which many find desirable) caused the quilting to be not as prominent. Make sure the fabrics have all been washed, both for shrinkage and dye bleed, and that the batting used has little or no shrinkage. That would be 100% poly or several blends, though cotton batting in any percentage will shrink some.  That way, after quilting there will be no shrinkage to cause that "blending" of the quilting. If you have no control over customer quilts, communicate with them as to fabric and batting shrinkage if it's destined for a show. As you can imagine, the award-winners at shows have been carefully assembled with fabric that has been shrunk, treated, starched, measured carefully at every step, and while maybe not washed, at least dampened and blocked. That will retain the crispness of the fabric and the stitch definition of the quilting. So, proper fabric handling and a proper fiber content of the batting will help. Washing and drying in machines will age your quilts. Hand-laundering and laying flat to dry will keep them the same condition and size for a long time.

Thanks Linda for your information. Unfortunately I did not have the control and was told it was a gift. Nor did I know she was entering it. The batting was Hobbs 80/20 so there would have been a little shrinkage on that. Guess I will ask more of those questions if a quilt is brought to me. 

I agree that the quality of the photo isn't great, but I can still see your quilting.  An astute quilt judge and anyone who makes quilts for that matter, should be able to tell that the quilt had been washed.  That's one of the pitfalls of quilting for others.  Once the quilt leaves your possession, you have no control over how it is cared for.  I think your quilting still looks great though.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Debbie, it still looks nice but I know you probably last saw it before it was washed and put into a dryer...I think just wetting and blocking it would help like Linda said, in retaining it's crispness but who knows what the new owner may have needed to do...since she put it into the show she apparently is very proud of it and it is a pretty quilt!

Archived