Farmer's Wife Quilt

Our local quilt guild is hosting their 30th Annual Quilt show this weekend. I was asked if I would like to participate in a 'Bed Turning' event. My daughter and I will be doing a 'generational' display starting with a quilt my mother (her grandmother) made for me when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My mother was a seamstress and made all my clothes and this quilt was made from scraps of fabrics from blouses, dresses, skirts, etc.. that she had made for me. I used to love looking at it and remembering all those outfits. My daughter 'stole' this quilt from me when she moved out as it has special meaning to her as well. When she was little and staying over night at Grandma's, she got to use this quilt and even when it got too small for her (the quilt was designed for a youth bed so it was shorter than a regular twin) she would insist on that quilt! Now her children love the quilt and it's starting to fall apart but isn't that what quilts are for. To be loved and used... 

Following this quilt will be her first quilt, my first quilt done on my APQS - (this quilt top was completed in 1994 for my daughter and when I had finished piecing she didn't like navy and pink anymore so this top sat as a UFO until 2011).  We will move on to various quilts we have both done and have significance to us. 

We will finish the bed turning with my Farmer's Wife Quilt which I just completed. My daughter had bought the book, I stole it from her... used the fabric she gave me for Christmas one year... so as you can see this is really a joint show for the two of us!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

Your quilt is gorgeous!!!! I love your border treatment. What fun to share in your hobby with your daughter. My Mom and I did, too, she passed several years ago. Now I quilt with my daughters-in law and I have been teaching the grandkids to sew. Good memories. Thank you for taking me back.

What wonderful stories, Sharon.  And the Farmer's Wife is really beautiful.  Something about red, white, and black in the right proportions just speaks warmth to me.  (But it also sounds as though there is a lot of family thievery going on there...) ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived