More questions and info

Thanks for all the advice on my previous post. I talked to the owner again and here's some new info.

The used machine I am looking at is an Ultimate 1. It has a hopper foot, a base plate to use rulers, a needle positioner, single stitch button, an aluminum table and a stylus not a laser pointer, and a Hartley fence. The serial number is 1266. The main downside that I see is it doesn't have a stitch regulator, which worries me a little. Will I regret that? I'm going to try it out this weekend. I'm still trying to decide on a fair price, but maybe when I find out what year it was manufactured that will help.

A big advantage is the owner lives about 20 miles away, which would make it easy to transport.

I'm so grateful for all the replies I got to my last post. It gave me a lot of things to research and this way I feel I'll be informed when I go to see it and try it out.

Thanks!!!!!!! Jan

Jan,

Now do you need the stitch regulator...no, some of our gorgeous quilts come from people who have never had one on their machine....and there are tons of ULT I's out there that have their original owners and they have never added the after market stitch regulator on. Its a learning curve, but it would be the same if you had it on there.

We each learn at a different speed and at a different pace...some of us need books to look at, some need to draw out stencils and sort of trace them when they sew....and the ones I'm jealous of are the ones that make it looks so effortless.

Now that you know what year it is, you can make your offer and see what happens.

Whatever you decide you will make the right choice for you...

Jan, I don't have a SR and seem to be doing okay. The best practice for me was doing pantos, you really get used to the flow of your machine with them; then going to the front of the machine for free-hand is easier. There may be times that you will be frustrated and wish you had a SR, like doing feathers and you wish you could "pause"; but it's all workable. I'm sure you will catch on quickly.

Just go for it if the price is right!

Sharon.

Jan, the first two machines I had did not have a stitch regulator and if I must say so myself, my work was pretty darned good. In fact, the only ribbons I've won on my own quilts were done without a regulator. Yes, it's easier to quilt with a regulator but by no means is it impossible to quilt without one.

Archived