Kathy Plantz. Newbie

I have a BabylockTiara III. I’m still learning but need some instruction.  When I go forward my stitches are very good but going backwards the tension is off. Looks to me like the top is too loose but don’t know if this is right.  How do I determine if it’s top or bottom. The I stbook only shows extreme cases. 

thx kp

You're probably experiencing "directional tension" issues.  Tension will change depending on which direction you stitch due to how thread is pulled off the bobbin.  It's something you will have to live with.  You can help minimize it by tightening both top and bottom tensions a bit.  Very accurate timing adjustments also help.  Good luck.  Jim

You'll experience directional tension changes with whatever type machine you use.  It's just part of multi-directional sewing.  The best thing to do is fool with your top and bobbin tension 'til you get a result that satisfies you.  I don't think speed has too much to do with stitch quality.  Maybe if you sew very quickly the top tension is increased, but not nearly as much as it's affected by stitch length (short stitches are tighter on top than long stitches if you don't change your tension adjustment).  Jim

Archived