I am seriously considering purchase of long arm, mostly for personal use.  I am looking at ones with computerized systems and have come down to Innova 26" vs Millie.  I like a lot of the characteristics of the Millie and have worked a few hours on the Innova after a dealership class and renting.  I

have not used either Quilt Path or the Innova computer options (or any others) and know nothing about either. 

The big advantage of an Innova purchase is that the dealer and very experienced tech has his store a mile away. It looks like the machines are fairly similar.  Innova dealer says advanced computer system is much better and much like the one found on Gammels (he earlier dealt with them but has switched to Innova).   He is offering me a used (9 months and hardly touched) Innova for about $5K less that a new one which makes it about $3K more than a new APQS I am looking at. 

So do I look at the more expensive Innova with advanced computer system? or the APQS--closest rep is an hour away.  II think I like the APQS features better but the appeal of a local tech is very high.  The local dealer will help me with APQS also; is't just not his preferred.  He only works with Innova, Gammel or APQS so I think I am on the right track for the type and quality of machine I want.

Either machine is a good choice. However, for the computer system, be aware that innova requires lightening stitch regulation with its in house system. And LS  is $4000 if it is not already on the machine you want to buy from the dealer. Intelliquilter is a system that does not require stitch regulation, it runs in manual mode. You should look at the many videos online for IQ and the innova mach 3 systems for a comparison between the two. I have an innova with LS and hardly ever need the LS since I use the IQ  for most every quilt. LS is only used when I am doing stitch in the ditch or piano keys. IQ  is less expensive than mach3 and you can choose a variety of options to begin with and later upgrade at the cost of the difference in the options. AND IQ  is an easier system to learn, does more than mach3, plus any updates to the system always free. Not so with mach3 or navigator from INNOVA. You always need to buy those upgrades or something to enable you to use the upgrade. I've had my innova since 2011, it's not ever had any issues I needed a tech to fix .A phone call is all it takes to fix most issues.

Debbie

Jackson, Ga.

When I was looking for a longarm a few years ago, I wound up narrowing my list to APQS and Innova. So I talked to my super-guru of a sewing machine service guy. He services every sort of longarm, sewing machine, serger, embroidery machine -both domestic and commercial in  a region that includes 4 state. He knows everything. I asked him "If you were going to buy a longarm machine for yourself or a family member, what brand would you choose?" Without hesitating he said there were only 2 brand on his list. #1 is APQS and #2 in Innova. I asked him why he put APQS ahead of Innova. He said that APQS is very easy to service - everything you need to access is right up front. "And besides", he said, "APQS never breaks down."

Customer service is the best in the business. They will stay with you as long as you need to get an answer to even the dumbest question. Every dealer I have met has been happy, professional, knowledgeable, and accessible. When I checked in your area, there are 3 dealers near Atlanta. My own treasured dealer is Sheridan Carter in Hendersonville, NC.(828) 286-2390. She is hosting a Roadshow on July 21, starting at 1:00 pm. Check the APQS roadshow schedule to see when there is one in your area. A roadshow is a great way to play with all of the machines and get all of your questions answered. Here's the link: https://www.apqs.com/events/?tribe_eventcategory=296.

Sharon

I don't know anything about the Innova computer system, but I have had both a QuiltPath and and IntelliQuilter and I say get the IntelliQuilter. It is a phenomenal system, easy to learn, can do everything, and the service people are top-notch. There are lots of videos and info at iqdemos.com . There are also several groups you can join before you purchase your system. This is a big plus because if I had had all this information prior to my QuiltPath purchase I would have made a better decision for me.

F752C2E462B781E717889B2E38CCD698.png
Sue in Phoenix, AZ
Millennium with IntelliQuilter
http://www.flickr.co...aciouscreations

I think there are a lot of great brands out there - you have to figure out what's right for you. I hated that answer when I was shopping for a long arm, but it's true. I'm a little bias since I'm an APQS owner, but I have also done A LOT of research and it's my personal favorite.

I worked with Innova a couple of years ago, and it moves easily and smoothly in all directions, it's easy to adjust stitches, and the stitch regulator is great. The stitch quality is excellent, tension is easy to adjust, and I've run a number of different threads with no problems.
But I found the APQS easier to handle. Don't ask me why, because I have no idea. It just somehow 'felt better'. I also got smooth and fairly consistent lines much quicker on the APQS. 

Can't say anything about Millie, though, since I've never tested it.

Hi,

are you planning on quilting for others too?  I looked at both the Innova and APQS prior to getting my Lucey....it was a demo Lucey, no computer....I only quilt for myself....and I love my machine....it is simple to operate....has very few bells and whistles and simply does what I want it to do.  I do have bliss.  Lucey is stitch regulated, has one manual channel lock which I use mainly for loading my quilts, needle up/down, and a 26 inch throat.....easy, peasy to get her up and running....now if I only could get my hands to do what my brain wants...tee hee…..I make mostly utility quilts that get washed and used....so I am perfectly happy with what I can do with Lucey.....Lin

Topic was posted over a year ago but great points if someone else pops in here.

Connie
Port Huron, MI   48060
APQS Sales Rep and Educator
Millennium with Intelliquilter (IQ)

"Be a good listener, your ears will never get you in trouble" Frank Tygr

sewsweetgator@aol.com
http://www.yoursite.com
287890c1690b93fca26ac74c1d32b308.png

I too am in the market, although I am looking at the APQS versus a Gammil with Statler stitcherl  I too want to jump right in with the computer. I am lurking on both forums, and I find that the Statler software appears glitchy, as that is the only thing they talk about.  It also is a mechanical machine which being old school I understand the mechanicals.  The electronic machines are a whole different animal, and my electronics background tells me it is all magic, smoke and mirrors.   What I don't see is people complaining that this or that in their software is acting up.  Which is a good thing, however cost wise, the APQS is considerably more expensive and they don't include a lot of the high end stuff in their basic unit.  There is always a costly upgrade option.  Still not sure what to do.

Also have to say that I have a Viking Epic 980Q that I use with a small frame sold by Viking.  For a manual machine it gets me by, but I do almost exclusive ruler work as I am not real stable with hand guiding.

DB,  Is there going to be an APQS roadshow near you anytime soon?   If you attend one, they give you a deal on the machine and at the one I attended, they threw in Fabric Advance and maybe Quilt Glide (can't remember everything -- it was a year ago).  You can also purchase demo machines or slightly used.

Thanks. for the reply.  I am aware of the shows etc, and the deals and demo machines.  My concern has been regarding what people are experiencing with their particular brands they are using.  I see problem after problem with the Gammill users.  Mainly related to software glitches.  And I see hardly anything on the APQS forums.  Which kind of bothers me.  The Statler stitcher has always been my goal.  But I have a lot of interest in the APQS. The Gammill is a lot cheaper though.  And this is one time I want to get it right.  So my question is this.  Is the APQS that reliable?    Looking for that shining light bulb to go off...These things are expensive and I can't afford to make a mistake.  Not to mention that a mechanical machine like the Gammill takes a whole lot of maintenance compared to the APQS

On 7/20/2019 at 5:40 AM, Draggingbutt said:

Thanks. for the reply.  I am aware of the shows etc, and the deals and demo machines.  My concern has been regarding what people are experiencing with their particular brands they are using.  I see problem after problem with the Gammill users.  Mainly related to software glitches.  And I see hardly anything on the APQS forums.  Which kind of bothers me.  The Statler stitcher has always been my goal.  But I have a lot of interest in the APQS. The Gammill is a lot cheaper though.  And this is one time I want to get it right.  So my question is this.  Is the APQS that reliable?    Looking for that shining light bulb to go off...These things are expensive and I can't afford to make a mistake.  Not to mention that a mechanical machine like the Gammill takes a whole lot of maintenance compared to the APQS. 

I think you answered your own question in your last sentence. You won't make a mistake going with APQS. 

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Yes, I have IQ on my milli.  I had it on a 2007 model and traded up my machine,  I think in 2014.  I took it off the 2007, sold that machine and then put it on the new one (also upgraded to super motors).  I love how easy it is to use.  I don't use all of the capabilities because I don't do custom work.  That is about to change because I want to do some custom on some tops that I have been saving.  I took IQ to demo to some friends that had quilt path and they thought my system is easier to use.  I can't say anything about quilt path because I have never used it.

C06DF8463954C0216C1959D67C1304D7.png

Draggingbutt:  The reason you don't see issues with the Quilt Path discussed here isn't because there aren't any, but because the Quilt Path group only allows Quilt Path owners to visit the site, and you must be invited to join.  Jim

Good point Jim.  On the other hand the IntelliQuilter Yahoo Group is open to anyone to join, just like this APQS site, I don’t know why the Quilt Path is different and only on Facebook.

Draggingbutt you might want to talk to Angela at quiltedjoy.com as she is both an APQS and IQ dealer.  She will be one of the few people who can demonstrate both computer systems.  The APQS quilting machines themselves have been quit reliable and when something does go wrong the factory can send you detailed instructions to fix it at home so you can get back to work quickly.  

The couple of times I had issues with my Intelliquilter I filled out a support ticket on line and a dealer would contact me within a couple of hours.  Actually the selling dealer is supposed to give you support for the first year but the others would freely jump in if needed.

Nigel

Brenda Wells - Green Millie. Sold November 2017
Nigel Wells - Ultimate 1 with Intellistitch & IQ.  Sold January 2019

On 7/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, quiltmonkey said:

I think you answered your own question in your last sentence. You won't make a mistake going with APQS. 

I have been interested in all the comments.  Just to update since I wrote the first question.  I did decide to go with the Millie with Quilt Path.  I am really enjoying the machine and learning a lot as I go.  I have had a few minor issues, some user error and some routine maintenance (a screw jostling loose and needing tightning) but the customer service has been outstanding and the machine is easy to  maintain and "repair."  What I wish I had known more about during the decision making process:  I wasn't aware that the APQS could be outfitted with other robotic systems.  If I had realized this I would have looked at IQ at least.  QP is OK but one of the major concerns people express is the delay in the update.  And also the fact that the update apparently won't have a no sew zone.  Last year I would have said I wouldn't ever use it but I am finding that I would like to have that capability.  I saw it demonstrated on the IQ and it looked really easy to do.  I'm doing OK using the QP robotics but I am not fully using the CAD (computer assisted design) elements as I don't really understand how to even tho I have paid for a couple classes.  I find that I spend a lot of time (sometimes hours) trying to figure out how to create a simple design.  I realize there is a learning curve but after all those hours my design still isn't right and I end up purchasing one anyway.  For me this has become a time vs. money consideration.  It's easier for spend a few dollars and have the design available "right now".  Anyway if you are still trying to figure out what to purchase learn from me and know that there are a number of robotic systems that are compatible with the Millie.