This is my first flannel quilt top and flannel backing on my Millie. The backing is seamed. I'm going to have to be careful as it appears that the rest of the backing is looser than usual. What I don't understand is why my stitches seem to disappear into the material. I was testing the tension and I can't even see the stitches. They just sort of sink right into the material. This can't be right. I'm using 50w thread in bobbin and top and I lessened the tension thinking it was too tight. Any suggestions?

It's the nature of the beast, SewingDiva.  Puffy batting will hide stitches. Plush fabrics like flannels will hide stitches. Using a thin thread like 50 wt will hide stitches. If you want the stitching to show on flannel, use a heavier weight and a contrasting color---and lengthen your stitch length a bit. Don't mess with the tension. Good luck!

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

No it wasn't pre -washed. It wasn't very well constructed with seams not matching and a pieced backing resulting in a lot of fullness next to the seam. But it turned out great! At least I think it did. As it sewed it really drew in the fullness from the topper and backing.  Once it is washed it will take up the small amount of fullness left in between some of the rows of stitching. Tell me what you think. Please be honest. It doesn't help me if you're not. I'm a big girl and prefer honesty to just making me feel good. I want to improve this craft and can't do that if people aren't honest with me.  Thank you for your help.

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

Honestly? It looks pretty terrific to me. 

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter