Quilts for my Sisters

I finished  two quilts at the end of May so I could take them to 2 of my sisters in central Canada while visiting this summer on our cross country trip to visit Newfoundland for the first time. What a great trip we had!  

The pattern is Angela Walter’s “Coral”, available free on her website. Both quilts are the same, except the first one I used a slightly contrasting thread (to the background) because I thought it blended a bit better with the print segments and the second quilt I used a matching thread.  In the end, I thought the second one came out better as I had figured out the quilting execution by the time I got there!  I’ve only attached the front and back pictures of one quilt here. 

621D216A-51AB-44DC-8355-07BE0640F5E0.jpeg

FA2BA66D-EFC7-4053-B018-C9AA14E1E16E.jpeg

Hi Kathy,

You did a wonderful job, both piecing and quilting.  I also did free hand free motion quilting and ruler work combined on my quilts, so I leave my "ruler base" on my machine all the time , however someone once told me not to do so, do you use ruler base while using ruler? if you do, do you leave it on until you completed your quilting?  Thanks for your help.

31 minutes ago, bartolli said:

Hi Kathy,

You did a wonderful job, both piecing and quilting.  I also did free hand free motion quilting and ruler work combined on my quilts, so I leave my "ruler base" on my machine all the time , however someone once told me not to do so, do you use ruler base while using ruler? if you do, do you leave it on until you completed your quilting?  Thanks for your help.

Thank you!  My ruler base is on pretty much 100% of the time as I have yet to do a quilt that I do not use rulers on.  I always work from the front of the machine and always freehand. I could see removing the ruler base if you were working from the back doing a panto perhaps. I don’t know why someone would suggest removing it otherwise.  Perhaps someone with more experience could enlighten us in that as I really don’t get it being a problem leaving it on.  Did “they” say why?

Kathy

Archived