Unable to remove broken needle from APQS Machine

My Brand New Lucey decided to eat the sewing needle!  The machine jammed in the edge of a quilt and the eye of the needle broke off.  When I tried to pry the needle out with pliers, it broke off even further; leaving about 1/4 inch of needle showing below the needle bar.  I tried to remove with pliers and no luck.  I used PV Penetrating Oil twice at night and let set overnight.  Again, I tried to remove with pliers and no luck.  I tried heating the needle to make it contract and still no luck.  I went to the Hardware store and bought some Needle-Nosed Vise Grip Pliers, removed the oil residue with alcohol swabs, turned the pliers counter-clockwise slightly, and the needle stub finally came out!  I have had trouble removing needles before and I think I will put a drop of oil on the new needles before inserting them.  Anyways, I hope no one has to go through what I just went through for the last 4 days!  Yes, I did remove the needle set screw before trying the remedies.

Something is not right. You should have been able to take the broken needle out  with your fingers after you loosened the screw.  I think Jim Erickson had a similar problem with a new needlebar a few years ago.  It turned out that there was a sliver of metal inside the hole from when the needlebar was tapped for the screws.   Contact APQS and bring it to their attention it really should be a warranty issue.  If Jim notices this post maybe he can walk you through his repair.

Nigel

Found Jim’s post and sent it to you in private message. 

Archived