Auto-Advance Pedals

My white pedal on the auto-advance has had intermittent issues with not functioning at all.  When this happens the white switch on the unit also does not work.  I really don’t know what kind of repair shop to take it to?  Or, if this is something that I would have to deal with directly with APQS?  Has anyone had this trouble?  Can you offer any suggestions?  

Shawna

My guess would be a bad connection in the unit as it is unlikely two switches failed at the same time.  I would call or email APQS and describe your problem.  They are usually very good at sending detailed instructions to repair any problem you may have.  Then either you or your handy person can fix it.  Posting here is good as well as someone may have knowledge about this and get you going a couple of days quicker.  Be sure to let us know the result to help the next person that may have a similar issue.

Sorry to be of no help

Nigel

I suggest buying these two items;

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/qd-174-electronic-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05103.html  Disconnect the electrical connection, then place a rag under the male/female plugs to catch the overspray/drips.  Spray both ends of the connectors.

Once the male/female ends of the connectors have been cleaned, spray all connections with one of the  sprays below.  A little goes a LONG way.  Once you hear the spurt of the spray, you have enough.  If you cannot find either of them, just put the connectors back together.  The spray is primarily for condensation build up that caused corrosion in basements or other humid areas with temperature swings.  The electrical connections sweet just like a cold glass of water, which can cause corrosion between the contracts.  

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/electrical-silicone-lubricant-10-wt-oz-2220.html  probably easier to find than the one below.

http://www.correxllc.com/products_supercorr_a.php  Buy this for anyone into cars, boats or other outdoor items.  It is used on almost every electrical connection out there marine, vehicle, to aviation in the past 5 years or so.  There is a drop of it on most high quality USB data sticks you buy.  It is expensive, but a can will last a long time.

If you have your quilt off, I would suggest pushing the button both fore and aft, so the switch gets exercised.  Unless you quilt for a living the switch may have a little corrosion in the contacts, as it is not used that often and normally only for a few seconds at a time.  Exercising the switch it will clean off the switch contact points.  If you can find a someone to take apart the switch, they can spray the contact points with the electrical cleaner spray, which should help too.

Best of luck to you.

My personal belief is if the green pedal works, then it is not the motor brushes.  I find it hard to believe the motors get exercised that much to wear them down.  The brushes make the motor run.  If they were bad, then the different switches would not matter.

Why not post a picture of the white switch and someone may be able to suggest how to take it apart, to clean the internal contacts.

Thanks for the feedback Cagey.  I have been corresponding with Angie in the office and it is being narrowed down to possibly the control box.  I agree with you that the motor should be okay if it is only one pedal acting up.  I’ll let everyone know what it turns out to be so that we can all learn from it.  

Archived