byfrantoo

Looking at a used Millie

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Millie on a 12' table--asking price is $9100.  Says "like new-only did 4 quilts"  on the surface this sounds like a great deal, I have seen pictures only so far.  Not looked at the actual machine so far.  I can see from the pictures it also has the auto quilt advance.  

Can some of you more knowledgeable people help me with questions I should be asking.  Right now I am WAY to excited and I am sure my head isn't on straight.  What are some intelligent things I should know to ask and look for when I actually get to see the machine.

What year was it made? The serial number is inside the harp and will tell the date of manufacture. If there is a letter at the beginning of the #, the machine has been worked on after the sale by APQS. Is she the original owner? Millies depreciate about $1000 per year.  Does she have any service records? Has she ever re-timed or replaced the bobbin assembly?  I'd be more concerned about "only doing 4 quilts" than some heavy use. Sitting idle for potentially years doesn't do the innards a lot of good. Since this is maybe 10 years old, take off the left side and see if it's gunked up from old oil and that the rocker assembly has no rust and works as it should---it runs the hopping foot. Check that the wicks are saturated with oil. Leave off the left panel and run the machine. How does it sound? Test-stitch, using different stitch-lengths in SR and different speeds in manual. Make a circle and inspect the stitches. Check that the wheels are good by pushing in all directions and seeing if there are clunks from flat spots, which can happen when it sits un-used for a long time. Eyeball the rollers from the ends to see if they're straight. Make sure the advance works. If you can, check the fuse drawer and see if there's still an extra fuse in there---it's in a pop-out panel near the power switch at the back. If it's there, that will mean she probably hasn't blown a fuse. Which isn't a big deal, but will tell you if she really only quilted a few times on it. Finding a few issues means you have wiggle-room to negotiate a price---but nothing mentioned here actually hurts the machine. Plus, she will think you're an expert! These heavy-duty workhorses last for decades and are easy to repair---my 2004 Millie is a trooper and helps me finish many custom quilts per year. Best advice, find a local dealer/rep and pay them to inspect it for you. If you buy, they will be a valuable contact for help and lessons. Good luck!

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Thank you more than you know!!  I actually printed out your message so I can have it right with me.  I am really aware of the "seems to good to be true" thing.  It is often more the rule than the exception.  The bad thing is here in Colorado there isn't a dealer that I could find through the APQS website ore I would even pay one of them to go with me.  I will ask a ton of questions when I get to actually see it.

Thank you soooo much

I found 3 dealers in Colorado, Myrna Fricken and Laura Farnham.  I met Myrna years ago and have ordered items thru her.  I have also seen Laura Farnham on the APQS site - Myrna too  There was one other shop listed.  Go to the APQS website the top of this page and on the APQs site, click on Locate Retailer .  Hopefully, this will help you.

Marilyn

I did find those numbers, one is in HIghlands Ranch, very near where the machine is.  Now I have to wait for the seller to get in touch with me.  From what I can gather it has been just sitting for several years.  A tech will be a lifesaver at this point.

Keep posting if you have any other info--I need all the help I can get.  I currently have a Block Rockit on a Grace frame so this would be a HUGE upgrade, not to mention expense for me so I am very happy to hear from all of you APQS owners.  This would be my dream machine and used is probably the only way I can get one unless I get to win the Millie (planning on that ya know!)

Well, as quickly as the dream came, it went--I finally got to talk to the owner and magically the price changed--UP by $800.  I pointed out she had it listed for $9100. She said she had to get that much and it must be in cash. To me changing the price is a big no no, and just for that it can sit until you know what freezes over.  Kind of sad not to even see it, but not dealing with something like that.

Oh Well

If you're on Facebook, look at the  "longarm & accessories 4 sale" group. Lots of different brands, locations, and prices. Longarm University has a machines-for-sale page as well.  I'd be concerned about the seller you contacted. Sounds shady to me if she changed the price. I can understand the cash-only part. Good luck with your search.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com