Dry Erase marker on quilt-help!!!

Carol,

Sheena is talking about the dry erase markers you would use on a white board. I have the purple and pink Marvy pens and use them all the time on quilts. They work great and I've never had problems with the marks not disappearing. However, my experience is that the pink marker disappears much faster than the purple marker.

Hope this helps.

Debbi

Raggie,

Great idea. I'm filing that one away. Hair spray - who would have thought it would work?

Carol,

I have used the Marvy pens (purple). They have a fine point and a heavier point. The fine point goes away pretty fast. I use the fatter end lightly when marking a quilt. If it doesn't disappear in a couple of hurs, I just spritz it with water and it disappears. Love those Marvy's but they are hard to find. Sherry Rogers Harrison has them on her web site. Click the link below.

Sherry's web-site

Disappearing ink seems to work well, but beware if your sewing table sits by a sunny window like mine does. Great for atmosphere, but sets the ink! My answer to getting anything out is soak it in Biz--is that OK with a quilt?

Which brand of hair spray did you use?

The fact that it worked to remove the dry erase pen marks is wonderful----but, sort of scarey at the same time. :o To think we spray this stuff on our heads! ---and also in an enclosed area most of the time. Reality check......

• 1 month later...

When that hairspray trick came out over 40 years ago, it was for removing ball point ink from men's white, cotton dress shirts. (Eventually, they invented "awesome" LOL pocket protectors). My grandmother soon discovered that her "good" hairspray did not work nearly as well as the inexpensive stuff. (Maybe additives get in the way).

Anyway, I purchase the the least expensive with no wonderful extras!;)

Grandma knew best!!!:D:P

• 5 months later...

Theres one other thing we could try.. was told that Glass Plus takes dry erase off the board, and other surfaces. At that time it was the only glass cleaner that would clean a grungy dry erase board. Now they have wee bottles of cleaner.

Also in the 1960\'s when the hair spray tip came out, the first we heard was cheap wig spray. Pennys clothing kept a can at the register. I got tired of trying to find wig spray and quit using any of it for spots.

Good Luck.

RitaR

Archived