Panto Size for King Size Quilt

Hello Everyone,

I hope this makes sense...I have a huge quilt (for me) to put on my Millie with a 12' frame and IQ. How can I figure out what size to make the panto so it will work even at the end when this quilt starts taking up space.

The quilt is 112 x 121

and I am using QD Dream Puff batting. If you think a different Quilters Dream batting would be better, please advise. 

Thanks so much

Pamela,

I think you can use the same pantos that you always use.  I don't have IQ so I don't know how the set-up might impact the space you have......but ever since I have gotten Lucey...I really have enjoyed have the same quilting area at the end of a large quilt (even kingsized) as I did at the beginning....I used to have a midarm machine on a inspira frame....it did not have the second bar on the take-up side like the APQS frame has....when I started to quilt, I had about 9 inches to work in......and at the end of a large quilt, it was down to about 3 inches....but on Lucey...it stays the same.....maybe I am not understand your question.....I have had a bit of trouble with the weight of the quilt on the take-up bar causing the brakes to slip and then I have had to tightened the brake screw.....but I never have had a large quilt take up so much room on the take bar that it took up actual quilting space.....

Lin

Pamela, I don't have IQ, so I can't make suggestions on that front.  However, "puff" batting sounds like it is a high loft batting, and on such a long quilt, may give you space issues as you get close to the end.  I would suggest a lower loft product. 

I am working on a California king quilt right now on Emmeline, my 2011 Freedom with a 12' frame, using QD wool batting.  I finished row 7 today, with only row 8 and the bottom border to complete.  Top border is 2.5", each row is 12", and the bottom border is 8".  I have not lost a lot of quilting space as I have progressed.  All free-hand in the body of the quilt, and ruler work on the borders.

Let us know how you work this out, please!

Pamela, you will lose several inches when rolling such a large quilt. When I decide what size to make my panto, I look at the design in "true size" and measure it. You can then determine how it will look on the quilt - measure the quilt and see if you like the size. I probably would size the panto at 12" or less. Also, check your density. Also, "puff" batting will take up more space on the take-up roller than a thinner batting such as Warm and Natural or Hobbs 80/20.

Pamela,

I don’t think I can explain it well.  I assume we are talking about a panto that doesn’t interlock.  The way I was taught you set it up the best you can and when you get to the last few rows you would measure how much length you have left on the quilt and compare it to how much length you have left in IQ.  Then you go into adjust or edit pattern and select the rows you have left and change the height to match your measurement.  

If it is a pattern that interlocks don’t bother you just hit the Adjust button before the last rows move the needle to the bottom of the quilt select clip and snap to needle and done.  The other method is when you get near the bottom go back until you can add/edit block select add block, clipping block, select the rows (patterns) to be affected and then you can make a rectangle following the left bottom and right edges  and high enough to clip the top edge of your selected patterns, then select done finished.  Go back to sew quilt and select your clipped patterns and finish the quilt.  

Unfortunately I’m doing this from memory as I have sold my machine.  I know I could do this faster than I can type the instructions.  

Nigel

On 2/17/2019 at 12:44 PM, psvenn said:

Hello Everyone,

I hope this makes sense...I have a huge quilt (for me) to put on my Millie with a 12' frame and IQ. How can I figure out what size to make the panto so it will work even at the end when this quilt starts taking up space.

The quilt is 112 x 121

and I am using QD Dream Puff batting. If you think a different Quilters Dream batting would be better, please advise. 

Thanks so much

This is going to be a little tricky if you want to exactly fit a pantograph perfectly on your quilt top. The best bet to do this is, prior to loading the quilt on the frame, I think you are going to have divide your top into "rows" and mark your quilt top (e.g. pins, or a light mark with water soluble pen) and this will give you an idea when the quilt is on the frame where your next row is starting. Because this is rolling up and your measurements will slightly skew with the batting and other factors, you will likely have to "fudge" the width of the pantograph slightly to make it fit. If I were you, I'd give myself a little fudge factor space (a couple of inches) that way you can make the pattern a little higher or a little lower (slightly) as you move along through the quilt. Those minor adjustments will barely be noticed. by the time you get to the last row, chances are your pattern will fit in, either slightly adjusted higher or lower. That's my best advice. Good luck! Tell us how it works for you.  

Archived