Quilters Dream Batting

I need to finish a quilt and thought I would like to try the Quilters Dream batting so many of you have talked about. We can't buy it locally so I will need to order it. Can you tell me which has the most loft- the Quilters Dream cotton/poly or the one made especially for machine quilters? I have really enjoyed all your tips and tricks and beautiful quilt pictures on this forum. Hope someday I can be half as good at quilting as you all are. I have had "Betsy" for only about two months now and am still PPPing.

Naomi Ames

Millennium

Judy-

I used Quilters Dream for the first time yesterday and I was disappointed. It seems to me that it pulled down through the backing in some places. I used a brand new needle. Is there anything else I should be thinking about that could help prevent it from doing that? Thanks

Heidi: I don't think it's necessarily a Quilters Dream problem. I've had it happen more when using certain fabrics. I can't explain why or when it happens but it seems that I've had the most problems when using some of the older Robyn Pandolph (when she was with Moda) fabrics.

Try it again with another top/backing before you give up on it.

But, when I do have "bearding", I haven't figured out anything that really helps -- if it's going to do it, not much I can do to stop it.

One of the lecturers at Quilting on the Waterfront (maybe Dawn Cavanaugh?) pointed out that batting has a right side and a wrong side. The fuzzy side of needle punched batting should go next to the backing of your quilt. It is less likely to beard that way. I use Quilter's Dream cotton and I like it a lot. I have only used the 100% cotton. As long as I have it loaded fuzzy side next to the backing I don't have a bearding problem.

I keep meaning to try their poly blend so I can compare it to Hobb's. The samples seem more dense.

For all you that love this batting, well I would too for hand quilting..but I do not like it for the longarm. It pulls way to much and you get thin spots.. this isn't rocket science here, it just a fact that Quilters Dream batting is sooo soft that happens. Totally prefer the Hobbs Prem/ Hobbs Organic and doesn't poke thru the back.

Just my opinion, doesn't have to be yours..

Quiltjunkie:D

I use Quilters Dream and have no problems with it. There are four weights and the lightest weight is much too fragile for tugging through the machine but with the three heavier weights, I love it!

I have problems with the Hobbs Organic -- go figure! I love the Heirloom 80/20 but almost will not use the Organic at all.

That's why everyone needs to try the battings for themselves. We can use the same machine, same batting and one of us love it and one of us hate it.

If you read the instuctions very closely on the Quilter's Dream Batting--I think this applies to every batting as well!

A single strand of tinsle hanging down from your machine and just touches the quilt top--yes like we put on the Christmas tree--helps with static electricity and also running a humidifer helps prevent this problem!

If the air is dry and your needle has static--it doesn't much matter what batting your using!

ladies...

At my Guild meeting this week they gave every member afree sample pack of Quilters Dream samples included each color, style on about 3" squares each. The company offered the to us for nothing.

Here is their number and info to request samples for your guild or group:

Quilter's Dream Batting 589 Central Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23454 (757)463-3264 www.quiltersdreambatting.com

NO! It isn't a dumb question.

I've only had bearding once and it was batting the customer had sent. She sent the same batting for two quilts. One bearded and one didn't -- same thread on both so I think it was a problem with the backing fabric. I didn't do anything about it.

I almost had a problem with a quilt once that was Robyn Pandolph fabric for the backing and the customer had sent Hobbs 100% Cotton Organic. I could tell when I did my basting line that it was going to beard. I called her and we switched to the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 and had no bearding problems.

So . . knock on wood . . I really haven't had a problem with bearding.

Archived