Sign in to follow this  
Battynurse

Top thread breaking

So my top thread on my Lenin keeps breaking. I’ve changed the needle, played with my upper tension and tried different cones of thread. I’ve also checked around the thread path for burs.  I’m using Glide. It breaks going both ways but especially going right to left. I’ve noticed that I seem to have more thread lint around the needle area than I’d seen before but I’ve only had the machine for a year and I’ve hardly used it since right after I bought it last year I ended up moving back to California and it spent 4 months in storage. 

Hi, what size needle- I've found some fabric/batting combinations need a 4.5 needle. You might try a larger needle.  Good luck and let us know when you find what works, I come here often to troubleshoot.  Sharon

Batty:  Check how deep the bobbin basket retaining "finger" is set.  It may need to be moved out a bit more to give more room for the thread to pass.

I rarely use Glide because it often breaks for me.  I think my problem is that I like my stitches tight, and Glide, being an embroidery thread, just isn't strong enough to hold up to my tension settings.  Jim

Thanks everyone. I’ll try a larger needle and check the bobbin basket finger thing. I wondered about the lint thing too. It’s definitely been the thread as I’m using blue thread on white fabric. It also at times looks like it’s frayed.