Sign in to follow this  
Amy Chaney

Difference in features between Millie and Freddie

The difference between Millie and Freddie (besides price) is Millie comes with Vertical channel lock and lower bobbin thread cutter and Freddie doesn't.  Are those two features worth the extra $1,100 cost of the Millie??  How often do you use them?

The channel locks we used a fair bit but the thread cutter almost never.  I think you would get most of the $1100 back in resale but if my intent was to keep the machine forever I don’t know I would spend the extra.  I guess the answer to your question is maybe.  

Nigel

Brenda Wells - Green Millie. Sold November 2017
Nigel Wells - Ultimate 1 with Intellistitch & IQ.  Sold January 2019

I have a Freedom (now called Freddie), and have never wished I had a thread cutter.  Although I am sure there must be people who really like it, I have seen a number of posts where owners have asked how to remove the thread cutter.  I usually don't bury my threads, but I still prefer to bring the bobbin to the top and trim it there.  For me, the thread cutter adds no value at all.

There have been times I wished I had the vertical channel lock, but I use a squeeze clamp on my carriage to achieve the same result.  Not as convenient, and possibly not quite as accurate (although it's pretty darn good), but I only quilt for myself (personal, gifts, and charity), not as a business or for competition, so the accuracy is fine for me.

I guess it really comes down to what you are planning to do with your machine, and how valuable you think the convenience of the channel lock is.  Either way, you can't go wrong with an APQS machine!

Betsy

quilting with Emmeline, a 2011 Freedom SR

Amy:  I have an Ult 2 which of course came without electronic channel locks.  I found the "manual" channel lock to be user unfriendly.  As a result, I built myself a set of electronic channel locks.  I use them all the time.  In fact I was thinking about the channel locks the other day while quilting, and thought "what would I do without my channel locks".  At least at one time, some of the other long arm manufacturers offer the electronic channel locks as an option.  I think the option cost between $800 and $1000, so the extra $1100 APQS wants for the Millie over the Freddie is appropriate.  I personally would buy the Millie just for the channel locks.  Jim