Show Competition

Good Monday morning everyone.  Some quilt shows seperate the catagory of long arm quilted computerized and non-computerized but most do not.  I get frustrated when entering shows that do not.  It is really tough to compete with a computer.  I know it takes talent to program the computer program and I appreciate that talent.  I hope more shows seperate the catagory.  I also hope more of the large shows continue to seperate the professional quilters from the average quilter.  Any time that a money prize is envolved they cyle these quilts around the country which is really boring to go to a show and the quilts have been in magazines and all over the place for the last five years.  What are your thoughts?

With fewer and fewer big shows, it makes it easier for the same quilts to enter around the country. One way to limit some of the repeats is to limit the age of the quilt. I sympathize with you about competing with the computerized quilting. Having gone to computer, I still see limitations as I look at some of the beautiful hand-guided designs. Trying to reproduce something that springs from the mind takes oodles of time to convince the computer, "this is what I want". :)

HI all,

I actually wish they would have a category for "new quilters and utility quilts".  When I would go to a show, I would feel so in awe of the quilts and quilting that was being done, that I thought I could never, ever, be considered a "real quilter".  Now in my old age.....I have come to terms that what I am is a "utility quilt" quilter......I love making simple quilts, that have a minimum of quilting so they stay soft and cuddly, that folks can throw on the floor, pick up, throw in the washing machine and dryer and wrap up in.....I don't have the patience and talent to make a work of art.....but I still make quilts of "value".  My brother and sister-in-law recently told me that the two flannel throw quilts I made for them had a major problem.....they were going to watch a movie and got comfortable and covered up with the quilts....yeppers….they ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes into the movie....tee hee…..

I agree with all the above.  I believe that it takes a lot of talent to program the computer to implement the design.  My point is there is a huge difference between a person hand guiding the machine and the computer guiding the machine. 

My only influence into quilting was my husbands grandmother and all her quilts were utilitarian in nature.  She would cut up old clothing and re-purpose them into a useful quilt.  I do the same thing today.  I'd rather my family used the tar out of the quilt then it packed away for safe keeping.  My wall art quilts are a different story. 

Paducah has a catagory for "first time entering the show".  Some of our local shows in Ohio give an award for best "traditional quilt.

• 3 weeks later...

There's an obvious difference between computer guided and hand guided quilts. The judges know it and they judge on that merit. Believe me, even if these categories are not "separated" you are not competing with a computerized quilt. Trust me when I say that. The judges base their scores on what the criteria in which they are given to judge on.

Have you ever been a judging scribe for one of the major national machine quilt shows? I have. If you haven't, it's valuable information and a great insight into what the process is for judging all of these quilts, regardless of the method they have been quilted. I suggest getting more educated on the process before making any opinions. Honestly, we cannot have 50 different categories so that people can win prizes. That would really dilute things to the point of ridiculousness. There are just way too many beautiful quilts out there and there are not enough ribbons in this world to hang on their borders. I will tell you one profound moment as a scribe. The judges were back and forth for 10 minutes trying to decide which (absolutely remarkable) quilt would be top winner in a specific category. They finally agreed. It's very difficult to choose the most amazing sparkling diamond from a bucket of sparkling diamonds sitting in front of you... They all sparkle and they are all diamonds. But not all of them get to have a ribbon, unfortunately... otherwise, there would be factories cranking out millions of ribbons to hang on every single quilt. Do we really want that? It's a quilt. It's beautiful. There are many beautiful women in this world that are more beautiful than a supermodel, but we all can't be supermodels. That's my opinion that I took after being a scribe for those quilt shows.