minkee problem

Has anyone had minkee coming through stitches from back side to front. Customer brought pieced top and minkee back. I used thermore batting and stitches looked horrible with pokies of minkee in nearly all the stitches. I know it was minkee because thread was yellow both top and bobbin an tension was great when going through black pieces on top. Changed needles from 18 to 16 to 20 and no difference.

Yes, this happened to a quilt I was quilting. Frankly, I did nothing about it. Customer did not even notice. And it really was not visible unless you were trying to find it. I don't think there is a solution to the problem with minky backings.

I would contact the customer and discuss the issue with them. Once it is off the frame you might be able to "brush" the minkee backing and pull the pokies back through  or when the quilt relaxes the minkee becomes unnoticible but it is equally possible that there would be no change. 

So sorry this happened to you. Yes, it's happened to me once or twice before. I have found that it's the brand of minkee that is the issue. As the quilter, it is unacceptable to continue on and finish it looking like this. I would take it off of the frame and rip out the stitches. Solutions are 1) change to a darker thread color that blends in with the minkee or 2) get a different brand of minkee (test it on the side, first)