Trouble with batting

I have attached a picture of a laundered quilt - quality cotton top, Bigelow wool batting, quality flannel backing.

Looks to me like the batting pulled through the backing.  I can't exactly say since I have not actually held the quilt since this happened.  Any clue why or what happened?  It was gifted to a SIN of a customer.  He washed it in a large front loading machine with no dryer.

Any advise, suggestion, hints ..... greatly appreciated.

600567360.jpg

I had a similar situation with Quilters Dream wool (which is machine washable)- it bearded out the back and front of a dark fabric quilt I made for my son.  QD customer service told me that it was due to the dark colored fabrics and something in the dyes that cause a static build up to pull the wool fibers and cause them to migrate out. 
Other's I know have had it happen with wool that is NOT supposed to be machine washed (dry clean only).

The only fix I've found - other than picking out the entire quilt - is to use a sweater shaver to mitigate the fuzzies.  My son's quilt does this EVERY time it is washed unfortunately. :-(