upcoming Innovations in Tacoma

Hi all,

I need help. You all know I am a newbie. I went last year to try all the machines. This is my question. If you had spent all your money on your machine, CL ,templates and getting set up which classes would be the best ones for me to take?. I can go to about 4-6 classes. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nora

Washougal Washington

Millenium

Hi Nora,

In the Innovations catalog there are great descriptions of the class topic. There is also a listing of classes recommended for beginners in the front of the catalog. I did the same thing as you, only a year earlier. Went and tried the machines in 2005, and in 2006 took classes and learned lots. Sometimes, unfortunatley, you learn that the teacher or class that sounded so promising is not one for you. I think you have to write those off to experience, and hopefully learn something from that.

My other suggestion would be to not overbook yourself. My thought last year was that I had X number of days, and better get as many classes in as I could. That resulted in brain overload. Take paper and pen for notes, plus you usually receive handouts. Go, have fun, learn lots, and plan for 2008.

Beth

Hi Nora--

Since you have a CL to help with overalls and perhaps block designs, you may want to look at freehand stuff--fills, feathers, edge-to-edge, etc.

Dawn Cavanaugh #333 class has a lot of good beginner ideas.

Any business related class might be good if you aren't up and running yet.

Megan Best has good advice for the serious, gotta-make-a-living-at-this student so either #227 or#327 might be something to look at.

I took a class from Kay Oft last year and she was charming and full of ideas and advice--#307.

Sue Patten is a scream and soooo talented. She has #229.

So many choices!! Good luck and I hope to see some familiar faces there this year and new faces to match the names from the chat!

Linda Rech

25 mile South of Innovations in Olympia

Hi,

I didn't take Pam Clarke at Innovations, but did at MQX, I'd take her classes for sure. I leaning towards Sharon Schamber (I'm a total newbie) but admire her work. I am taking Bob Purcell's thread class. I agree with Linda, Megan's class is good. Dawn Cavanaugh's were good too. I would take Mark's maintenance class for sure. It was great. Sally Terry was wonderful also. Lots of great ideas. I'll be there again for sure.

Pam Nagle

40 miles north of Innovations in Silverdale

Hi Nora

I'm a beginnger as well and these are the classes i'm taking-

class 205 on batting-Nancy Goldsworthy

214-APQS machine maintenace

223-continuous curve quilting-Cindy Roth

253-machine stippling-Sharon Schamber

313-circles, curves and more-Cindy Roth and

333-beginner potpurri-Dawn Cavanaugh

...and these are the classes I will be taking:

109 Block Party - DeLoa Jones

112 Designs w/Lines - Pam Clarke

130 Feathers to Die For - Sharon Schamber

214 APQS Maintenance - Mark Caraher

223 Continuous Curves - Cindy Roth

315 Border Designs - Dawn Cavanaugh

327 Profitable Freehand Quilting/The Art of Light Custom - Megan Best

I think I have chosen classes that will fit my needs the best. I have few rulers/templates......I do mostly freehand. I don't have a CL, I do have a Hartley Fence but haven't tried it yet. I have a good array of excellent teachers who quilt in the style I like.

I think that is what you should look for when selecting classes if it's your first time going. It is very easy to want to take them all!!!

Perhaps those going from this group can have a meetup?

I wanna go! I wanna go! Can I go too? I don't have a LA, but I'm a real wannabe, like Kenna...... Can I go too? huh? huh?

I"ll look it up to see what and when and where. It would be great if I could hitch a ride, or have someone ride with me..... Hmm.......

Innovations--September 19-22 in downtown Tacoma, Wa.

Put on by Cindy Roth.

Lots of longarm companies (APQS, A-1, Gammill, Nolting, Proto) will be there as well as mucho vendors. Yummy!

Website for info is mqinnovations.com

Gee's Bend Quilts will be displayed at the Tacoma Art Museum at the same time.

Last year we had a lunchtime meeting room for APQS chatters and we got to put faces to the names.

Linda R

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Last year we had a lunchtime meeting room for APQS chatters and we got to put faces to the names.

Linda R

Will there be a lunchtime meeting this year? I would like to meet other APQS'ers..........although, I'm sure I will meet some in the APQS maintenance class.....

Much as I avoid big cities, I am Tacoma-bound for Innovations! The temptation of meeting Mark and Dawn was too great; plus I have classes with Karen McTavish, Sue Patten, and (of course) the legendary Bob Purcell.

We do have a minor problem of an old, old dog who is over the Sheraton's 35 lb limit; does anyone know of alternative convenient lodging that might accept her (always accompanied--by my not quite as old husband ;) ).

Look forward to meeting many of the chatters! Caroline

Hi there,

How many pounds over 35 is your dog? My dear friend Letha, while moving back to Utah from Oregon, encountered a simliar situation, but with no other hotel options. She offered to hold up the dog's paw all night long so that she would meet the weight limit. Just a thought.

Beth

Yes, indeed, the Sheraton will take our poor deaf, blind, and somewhat overweight doggie (whose paw will be held 24/7 in any event--thank you, Beth). It took several phone calls but how nice to have a place for us all to stay. Yippee! Caroline

my daughter and i will be going

learned alot last year. and we did the too many classes

and were exhausted. so much todo and so little time

so this year we are taking a few less classes. we will divide

and conquer. looking forward tothe vendors and the quilt show.

and oh my then there is the ................ see there you go

that is how i got into trouble last year. will see all of you there. carol

Guest Linda S

I think I'm going to skip Innovations this year. I've taken most of the classes that are available and the quilt show was tiny last year. I might pop up for the day to see some friends, but it's a long drive.

Linda

Hey, Linda S, you can stop here for awhile on your way up if you like. Tualatin is right on I-5, and we could meet at Fred Meyer (right off the freeway) and go somewhere for lunch if you have time. Just a thought. Would be great to meet ya. And anyone else out there, for that matter. Let me know if you'd like to get together. It will have to be on the way up but not back, as I will be with my author friend, Jane Kirkpatrick, when you drive home. Wish I could go too..... pooh.

P.S. Caroline, a big city Tacoma ain't, it's just an enormous bedroom. ;)

Archived