Sign in to follow this  
Janice H

What to do about pokies!

I am quilting a beautiful applique quilt.  It has  nice, soft, multi color batik backing.  The background of the squares is beige- like neutral.  She provided an inexpensive cotton batting. I have many, many, tiny pokies all through the backing.  I have changed the needle three times.  Each time going to a smaller, new needle.    I am using Bottom Line and So Fine in Salute and Beach.   I have never had such a mess!! She wants to enter the quilt in a show.  Help! !  Is there anything I can put on the back(pencil or pen wise) to  camoflauge the pokies  on the back?   

Perhaps you should call her to come see what is happening to her quilt before you try to fix anything. None of the problems are related to anything you have done -it is all due to the materials she has given you.  

Debbie

Debbie

Jackson, Ga.

ack! the dreaded pokies. we've all experienced them. some situations are worse than others. you have several options: you can stop now and remove the quilting stitches, find a different batting to use, or a combination of different batting and different backing. sometimes it's the backing fabric that's the culprit. perhaps you have the batting flipped the wrong direction. that could also be an issue. a last resort is to get a pigma pen and color in the pokies. that is something that longarm quilters do in situations that have no other options. good luck! 

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

I've got POKIES!! I hate pokies. I thought it was me, but this is the second quilt with them. The first was for me; just placemat. This one is a customer and it's homespun front and BACK! I'm using Hobbs 80/20. It used to be wonderful; not so much anymore!! So i'm thinking of taking out two rows and using Quilters Dream Blend. Shoulda known!!

1B3534BF41043F3B69B8C0B1C537B688.png
APQS Millie aka Big Baby
www.linneamariequilts.blogspot.com
Sew Batik Associate #1361

LinneaMarie, it's not the batting, it's the backing fabric. Can you change the backing fabric?

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

LinneaMarie:  Shana's right about the fabric, but I'd like to add that the 80/20 batting you're using isn't the best when it comes to bearding as well.  I prefer to use a poly or more preferably, wool because they don't beard.  I don't use 80/20 much anymore unless the customer wants cotton batting.  Jim

I finally did finish it. And Shana is right; it was the backing because it was homespun loose woven stuff. But I changed to Quilters Dream BLACK poly so all went great after that. 

On a side note, I used it on a set of placemats and the backing was RJR Thimbleberries from a long time ago. I had the same problem!

1B3534BF41043F3B69B8C0B1C537B688.png
APQS Millie aka Big Baby
www.linneamariequilts.blogspot.com
Sew Batik Associate #1361

so glad you were able to resolve this LinneaMarie!  Many times, the batting can help hide the pokies.

I received a quilt to quilt (batting furnished by quilt owner). Loaded it, stitched across to hold the batting to the backing.  Just for the heck of it (because of previous experiences) I  rolled it to look at the backing & stitches.  Sure enough there was an abundant (to put it lightly) number of pokies.  I ripped the batting off (king size quilt) flipped the batting over and put in the smallest needle I have.  I stitched again for  about two feet and checked the backing.  No pokies!!  I checked the bag the batting arrived in, there are  no instructions  about  which side is to go up.  I am going to call or write the company.  This could have been a disaster for me.  I don't know how to tell which side  goes up.  It is a beautiful quilt.  She  pieced the back with  several pieces of the dark cloth that was used on the front.  Glad I checked!!