best batting

Someone recently brought their own batting with them and it was Warm and Naturals Soft and Bright, I think. It was very nice! I usually just have single packs of Hobbs but am thinking of getting a roll of this, although I don't go through poly very fast. I would recommend it though. It draped nice and was even. It kind of looked needle-punched.

I loved the Hobbs Tuscany too, really handles nice..don't like any of the Dream cotton except the Deluxe which no ones ever buys because it's thick and expensive..I must say some one did bring me the Dream poly and it was very nice to use it must have been the thicker version. I think the Select is the thinner one which I just had to use and it was a nightmare trying not to put your hand thru it and to cover up all the thin spots with no bumps.:mad:

Quilter's Dream Poly comes in three lofts -- from thinnest to thickest -- 1. Request, 2. Select, and 3. Deluxe. It also comes in black.

The request is pretty thin, but the select and deluxe feel very nice. I haven't ever tried them in a quilt.

Chelley

P.S.: I also like Hobbl's 80/20. It has wonderful drape. I like to preshrink it though because I don't like the puckered look. I have a front loading washer, so it doesn't agitate. Just put on the rinse cycle on warm and them through it in the dryer on warm. It does distort; gets longer and narrower, but this works for me. I go to this much trouble for my quilts because of the drape factor with hobb's.

I have been using Quilters Dream select poly for the past 2 years, no problem. It is soft and a nice loft with flannels. I use Quilters Dream 70/30 cotton blend and find it somewhat like Warm & Natural. We do a lot of queen/king quilts so I buy it in 120" rolls. I have not found any thick/thin spots on either rolls.

If you check with Quilter's Dream, they don't recommend the request (thinnest) loft for longarms, only select and deluxe. I have QD poly Select and Warm & Natural cotton on the bolt and love both of them, but each has it's place. The great thing about QD is you can order just one batt if you have to and they ship really quickly. Just realized I need to order more poly- a whole bolt since the first of the year- a new record for me.

I just used Fairfield Soft Touch cotton in my grandmother's flannel peejay quilt. The result is HEAVENLY and this batting worked very well on my longarm?no problems at all. I wish I had more of it, but I have to use up a lot of Hobbs Heirloom wool and Quilters Dream cotton before I buy any more. I did order some Tuscany silk, however. Gotta try that.

I've become a big fan of Mountain Mist lately. I love their Rose battings and have used them in my own quilts pretty much exclusively for the past year or so. I wanted to wash them and dry them and use them and make sure I was happy with the results before recommending the Rose battings to my customers. If you haven't tried them lately, I would recommend that you at least give them a try.

I also like Quilters Dream Cotton Select but as I've stated before, I'm not stocking Hobbs at this time.

When we moved, I realized how much batting I have because I had a roll of just about everything there is. I decided to cut back to stocking just a few batts and for now, those are Mountain Mist Rose, Mountain Mist Gold and Quilters Dream Cotton Select. If a customer wants something else, they can send it and I'll gladly use it but most just purchase from me whatever I recommend.

I'm giving QD select a try first because I needed the batting immediately and I already had an account set up. I can't seem to find Tuscany poly, even on Hobb's site. I can't find soft and bright locally so have asked for a sample from the Warm company and hope to give that a try. Thanks for your imput. If you could give me a place to find Tuscany, I'll give it a shot, too.

I use a lot of Quilters Dream. The poly, the blend and, the 100% cotton. I Don't use ANY of the thinnest , (Request), for bedding quilts. I am Very happy with the service at Quilters Dream. It is nice to be able to order just one roll if that is what I want.

Hobbs Wool, Hobbs Heirloom 80/20, Quilter's Dream Cotton, Quilter's Dream Poly are my favorites -- in that order. However, I don't care for Hobbs Heirloom in the individual bags -- for some reason, it is not as nice as the Heirloom on the big rolls. I used to think it was because of the compression when put in the individual bags, but that's not it. Hmmm... When I DO use Hobbs Heirloom from an individual bag which a customer has provided, I always spritz it very lightly with water from a spray bottle and then air fluff it in the dryer for a few minutes. This relofts the batting, and helps bring it "back to life"! Least favorite...Warm and Natural. Karie

I use Quilter's Dream cotton Request for the antique look. I use it in both machine quilting and hand quilting. I don't care for the heavier weights but will use them in customers quilts if they supply the batting. I also like Hobbs 80/20. I pre-wash it, it gives it more loft. I also like a low loft poly. I heard that the Hobbs wool was nice to work with in both machine and hand quilting. It easily gives your quilt a trapunto look without the added work.

Chantal Anderson

(New to the chat line!)

I just used Hobbs Thermore. Not too crazy about it. I let it rest over the bars of the machine for about 4 days and the wrinkles did NOT come out. I think I quilted a couple in but it looks all right. It was not on a roll, just in a pkg. This stuff would definitely NOT be my first choice. Still like Airtex 50/50 and warm & Natural cotton.

Archived