Ultimate II

loretta

I recently purchased an Ultimate II from Facebook site unseen.  I think I was kinda crazy that day.  The machine has a lot of issues.  The top thread shreds after a couple of minutes  its very furstrating to operate like this.  I have checked both pigtails and they are good. I am hoping for some guidance on what do do next.  Also can casters be added to this machine?

Thanks  

Loretta

Hi Loretta

The U2 is a real workhorse and once you get it sorted out will give you many years of dependable service.  You didn’t say what thread you are using but I would suggest using something like Superior So-Fine or Glide to start.  Both are quite strong and work well with the high speed machines.  Also look for a groove in the check spring and needle plate.  Grab the needle bar and see if there is any play front to back or side to side, should be none.  Remove the bobbin case,  put your thumb on the centre pin of the hook and your first two fingers behind the hook and see if there is any play in and out, again should be none.  Any of these issues are corrected simply and inexpensively. 

You probably could find casters for your table but I suspect you are on your own.  You could also use furniture glides under the legs, that’s what we did on carpet and the machines were easy to move when needed.

There are a couple of people on here that use U2 machines every day in their businesses.  Pretty good for a machine that has been out of production for almost 20 years.

Nigel

I have an ULT11 and use it for business.  All of the suggestions that Nigel said are things that need to be checked right off.  I know that I had alot of issues with my machine when I first got it (third hand used) until I found out that the needle bar was moving ever so slightly.  Once I replaced that and secured it with absolutely no movement, all my problems stopped!  

The thread that you use is important. My machine does not like certain brands of thread... so you will have to try a few to see what works best with your machine.  I find embroidery thread works very well...Omni, Glide, some Superior threads work well.   Also make sure you are using the correct size needle for the thread you are using.  

I am assuming you got a manual with your machine.  Look at that and check all areas of thread path for any burrs.. you can do this by using a small piece of nylon and run it around those areas to see if it catches.  Sometimes the burr is so slight the naked eye can not detect it.  Also check your needle plate for burrs.  

Make sure everything is nice and clean, oiled very well.  Including the tension wheel.  I actually had to replace mine.  All parts can be obtained through APQS.

Thanks for the responses,  I am using glide thread and prewound bobbins and bobbins I wound on a cheap bobbin winder from walmart.  It didn't come with a bobbin winder,  didn't make a difference in thread shredding issue.  I have looked at the pigtails under a magnifying glass.  they looked okay.  I will check with nylon when I can find one. The needle bar doesn't move, the hook seems secure. The manual I received was a xeroxed copy of the manual in a folder. When you say oil the tension wheel are you referring to the tension adjust assembly or the flywheel assembly?  

Thanks

Loretta

You can grab the thread above and below the pig tail and drag it in a circle around the inside of the guide.  If it catches at all you have a groove.  Loosen the screw and rotate the pig tail upside down and tighten back up.  That will last for many months until you get replacements.  They are inexpensive but the shipping isn’t so wait until you have a few other things you want from APQS.  

Nigel

Laura can probably tell you better but basically you must use the turn the flywheel manually to make a single stitch to pull up the bobbin thread.  Then I would hold the tails away from the direction I am going to quilt and turn the machine on and make a couple of very short locking stitches and then quilt away.  When you want to stop make a few short stitches as you are turning off the machine.  Then bring the needle up manually move the head away a few inches, grab the top thread, move the head back to the last stitch, make a single stitch, move the head about an inch and pop up the bobbin thread hold both threads, move head away several inches and clip threads at quilt. Look at this video and you will get the idea, you just don’t have the single stitch or the automatic needle positioning.  After a few tries it will become second nature.

Nigel

https://youtu.be/e1PCvBa6jsk

Loretta:  Both Laura and I have Intellistitch stitch regulators on our machines, so our "unregulated" experience is in the distant past.  That being said, shredded thread isn't only a problem of unregulated machines.  Is there any particular quilting action where the shredding happens?  If so, that might give us a clue.  I personally use YLI Longarm Professional as top thread almost exclusively.  The strongest longarm thread I've found.  It is possible that you have a burr somewhere on your hook assembly.  Examine it very carefully, and if you fine one polish it down with fine emery cloth.  Good luck.  Jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your response.  Do you have to remove the hook assembly to look at it and sand?  When I first turn the machine on it seems to run longer without shredding the top thread, once it starts it's like every ten to fifteen minutes.  The thread came off the hook in the back and the thread broke almost immediately, I could tell the thread broke not shredded even though it took me a good twenty minutes to figure it out.  I have finished two quilts on this machine.  When it works it has a pretty stitch, but it's a struggle with this issue.

Loretta

You should be able to get a pretty good ides as to whether the hook needs polishing without removing it, by 1) looking carefully for scratches, and 2) running your finger over the various hook parts feeling for any damage.

A couple of basic questions:  Have you checked the machine timing?  If it is slightly out of time, the top thread may not be being released timely, causing the thread to be overly stressed.  Are you using the proper type needle?  If they are the Singer type (which includes  Gros-Beckert) they should be MR, SAN 11 size 3.0 to 5.0.  If they are something else, the needle may be your problem.

Did your manual include photos of proper timing?  If so, make sure your machine is adjusted exactly as pictured.  If you don't have photos, look on APQS's website for examples.  BTW, I think all the Ult 2 manuals were photo copied pages held in a binder, at least that's what mine is like.  The timing photos however, are actual excellent quality black and white photos.  When looking at the machine timing, pay particular attention to the needle bar adjustment.  I seem to remember having a similar thread issue with my machine shortly after I bought it, and it turned out to be that the needle bar was set too deep.  Raising the needle bar so the needle eye position exactly matched the proper timing photo, solved the problem.  Good luck.  Jim