New Long arm quilter

Margret,

I believe technically George is a longarm, but some may say otherwise.  I do not have room at the present time for a longarm.  

That being said, I have taken a few longarm classes.  I have found the machine head weight an issue.  From what I have read, the APQS heads seem to be lighter than other machines.  When you get the head moving, and want to stop, and then start moving in the opposite direction you will have to overcome the mass and momentum of the machine.  More weight, more effort.  I am sure you will grow accustomed to whatever machine you purchase, but from my limited experience I liked the lighter head.

APQS is very responsive.  Yesterday, while changing out the hopping foot on George, Amy was available to answer questions and provide input.

You will see other machines advertised on this site.  Other brand users will ask questions, and have them answered when possible.  I cannot say that other brands will offer that.  

Finally, I think that APQS machines are built well, and in most cases will last a lifetime.  

Best of luck shopping.

Well, since this is the APQS forum, most of us here are huge fans :-)

That said, buying a longarm is a big investment.  Have you rented one at all?  Do you have a particular reason why you are wanting to buy one (vs. rent vs. pay for longarming)?  

As to brand, every one is a bit different.  The best thing you can do, just like when buying any big purchase, it try out as many as interest you.  Just like buying a car - you wouldn't buy what someone else likes without trying it for yourself, and trying a few others as well, right?

While you can see most in one place a the big quilt shows, that's really not the best place to try them (and right now, that's not an option).  There are too many people, too much distraction.  Instead, find dealers within a reasonable distance from you and also look at road show schedules for the brands you're interested in.  If possible, do a certification course so you get the chance to learn about loading a quilt, how the machine works.  Some classes will require you to bring you own quilt media, others will have some charity quilts for you to learn on.  At a road show, try to arrive a little early so you can look at the machines.  You'll be able to try them after the presentation.  Do so!  Try every one of them.  Ask lots of questions.   

I have tried a number of brands over the years.  I was certified on and have rented APQS machines.  I still wasn't sure, so I went to a couple of brand road shows over the past couple of years.  For me, APQS was the smoothest, easiest machine to operate.  Another well-known brand seemed very heavy and my hands and wrists couldn't handle the vibration for very long (plus my husband, the mechanical engineer, wasn't impressed with their construction features).

Take your time to educate yourself and try, try, try.  

Michelle