QUESTIONS RE: ZIP ON/OFF LEADERS

CaliMom

My zippers have been on about 6 weeks and I like them. I still pin and I also sit to pin with a tall stool at the front and a short one on the back--nicer on my back and neck and I can watch quilting DVD's while I pin.

I've already had 3 occasions where I would have had to let a quilt sit couple of days or unpin them to work on something else. 2 were waiting for a change in border quilting plans to be approved (owners were out of town) and the other I misjudged and ran out of thread so had to order more. I've also decided this way it will be easier to schedule time for actually practicing or working on some of my own quilts. Starting the 1st week of June Friday afternoons are for me to work on my things or practice. .

I just got my zippers at MQS. This was before I went to a class w/Sue Patten. I was very surprised when she told everybody that she only puts 3 pins in her quilts when mounted on frame and floats the other end. I don't see how she does this but she does and won awards for quilts and teaches. I have not put on the zippers yet, but did not get instructions with them. I don't know if they forgot to give me copy or did not come with them.Will center and not to stretch fabric. Hope to have them on this week, wish me luck. If not I will be back for advise. Nita

Guest Linda S

I use an antique chain stitch machine to stitch my quilts and backing onto the zippers. It is amazing that these little machines do not stretch the fabric like your regular sewing machine will. Once I am finished with the quilt, or, if I'm doing a panto and want to run off the end of the quilt, all I do is pull one string, and that quilt comes right off the zippers. My Willcox and Gibbs machine is one of the best investments I have even made for my business. I love that little machine!

Linda

Archived