MQS class projects (pics)

This was my second year attending MQS. Already I cannot wait til next year to see what classes I can take. I have been comparing the fun of the week to some of my memories of girl scout camp crafts and activities. I just have to share with you the stained medallion quilt each of the class attendees made in Pam Clarke's class. It is sooo very cool. Pam really inspired all of us. She can make one of these in an hour...we did it in 4...but then we had two of us to each machine and also had some lecture on quilting it. We actually finished the whole quilt. Just need to add the binding and sew down the "lead".

post--13461898211381_thumb.jpg

I took another class with Dawn Cavenaugh. We made 2 yards of faux batik, created one stamp (mine was a butterfly). Can you find it on my fabric. We then painted the fabric and let it cure. I left it in my truck (between plastic bags). The color is almost the same on both sides due the the heat cure (I think). What fun this was...Thanks Dawn. I cannot wait to make a sample quilt from the fabric---maybe a butterfly stained glass...

post--1346189821169_thumb.jpg

I took the colored pencil painting class with Irena Bluhm. It was great. I came home and I am doing a quilt with what I learned. In picture is the 13" square block we did. What do ya think. Will it pass? Had a Hoot of a time. Recommend Irena's class next year. Nita

post--13461898211972_thumb.jpg

Rats! I'd show you my batiks from Dawn's class but I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ADD PICTURES!!:(:(

Mine are pretty much double sided too......didn't get them rinsed out until Monday. They turned out great...I'll have to e-mail them to you, Dawn. Loved the class and as usual, you are such a sweet teacher. Thanks.:cool:

Wow you all, wonderful quilts.

I have took a total of 12 classas, but have to work on my customers quilts first. After that I will make lots of samplers with the feathers and negative space fillers, so my customers have a clear idea about what the possibilities are.

When I have made them I will post pictures.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Thanks to all of you for posting your projects, they are all wowee zowee!! and it gives the rest of us a good idea of what we can do in the classes that are offered.. Just hope Dawn and Ireana might be out at Road to California some time for us West Coasters who don't have the time to travel that far. Not to mention dealing with the TSA Gestapos:mad:

Can you tell I just arrived home at 2 am this morning from a trip to Springfiled, MO so the experience is fresh in my mind.

That is waayyy cool!!! I'm taking a class with Irena the first chance I get. I've been a big admirer ever since seeing her work at MQX. The look is so unique!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

Originally posted by busybee

I took the colored pencil painting class with Irena Bluhm. It was great. I came home and I am doing a quilt with what I learned. In picture is the 13" square block we did. What do ya think. Will it pass? Had a Hoot of a time. Recommend Irena's class next year. Nita

Hester I live just west of Springfield, Mo

Lynne I am doing a sampler of 6 blocks this week. I just can not put it down. I just love the look and dainty flowers. I plan on making some kind of applique quilt soon with this technique. I am looking on the web for fixtiture but can not find it. I found stuff for paint and dyes but not for colored pencils to keep it from fading and seals to keep on fabric. Any suggestions.

JoAnn H. has a very pretty Block colored pencil painting. She is great with her techniques. Of cause it helps to have painting classes. I have been thinking of taking painting classes for several years and just put it off.

Everybody has their own style. I took Pam Clarke class last year and we did a colored glass pane with background fillers, it was great. I like the look of your stained glass medillion. Pam goes fast and furious but she is so great at it. I look the fabrics. Nita

Hi Ladies,

I am new to all of this and have a silly question. I am been reading all of these posts regarding this MQS show you ladies are have so much fun at but can not find anything out about it. Could someone tell me what the MQS stands for and where I can fine info. regarding the show and classes you are enjoying?

Thank you.

Susan:

Hi!! It stands for Machine Quilters Showcase. Look a few lines down on the MQS 2007 page to Mary Hibbs' post about the KC Star and go to that. It will help some, and there are some pictures. There are lots of vendors, classes, and QUILTS, QUILTS, AND MORE QUILTS!!

Deb and Nita,

It was so nice to meet you all at MQS. :) Wasn't the show fun?

I will have to remember to sign up for Dawn C's batik class. It looks like it was very interesting. Beautiful fabrics. I use Pam Clarke's grids all the time. I took one of Pam's classes here at the Quilted Rose. I love the way she shows you how to use those grids to simplify designing a quilting pattern. They really help me stay lined up.

Nita,

I love your colored pencil block. I took the Irena Bluhn backgrounds class. She is so passionate about her quilting. A true artist. I saw her quilt on the show floor; it wasn't judged because she put green binding on the whole cloth (apparently a no-no for whole cloth...who knew). Anyway, it was stunning. Your block reminds me to that quilt. Keep it up. I hope you will post photos of the quilt once it is finished.

Lynne I am doing a sampler of 6 blocks this week. I just can not put it

I'm a big fan of Lascaux Fine Art Fixative that you can get at most art stores or art supply websites, and I've used it on pencils and crayon but on paper, not on fabric. Hmmmm, interesting question...I wonder how it would act on fabric...I'll have to do some experimenting. I bet Irena would know!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

I plan on making some kind of applique quilt soon with this technique. I am looking on the web for fixtiture but can not find it. I found stuff for paint and dyes but not for colored pencils to keep it from fading and seals to keep on fabric. Any suggestions.

• 3 years later...

Wow and Wow again...

Beautiful quilts. Deb, I love your stained glass. Where do you get ideas from or pattern? Nita, love your coloured block.Was that your creative mind designing the block? wow and wow and wow again. I am so anxious to try both of these techniques...unfortunately I will need to learn on my own, no classes around here that I know of.:mad::(

Beautiful work!;)

Archived