Help with background

I am working on an enormous quilt. More than 50 blocks. It's a mixture of 3 dimensional applique and pieced blocks representing all the state flowers. My question is: do you often mix background quilt patterns, or will I be sorry if I change the pattern. I'm not sure I can face doing the same pattern on every block. Right now my plan is to do the same on all the applique but do different patterns on the pieced blocks. Can anyone put their two cents in? I don't want to get started on something I will regret. I keep staring at the quilt and can't seem to make up my mind.

I often mix up backgrounds in my quilts.

A mixed background can add more interest and be a design element in its own right.

There are so many kinds of fil to choose from and sometimes on a whimiscal quilt it is fun to try a unique on in each area. Sometimes on something where you want more structure it is better to go with just one.

Kathy,

I like to "mix it up", but only if "mixing it up" fits with the quilt. Even when I "mix it up" I make sure that there is not too much variety because that can be distracting. One or two themes is usually plenty. Sometimes you can create a secondary or tertiary pattern on a large quilt by changing quilting motif, thread, or direction. Could you post a picture of the quilt for everyone to see? I'm sure that a picture of the quilt will help us help you!

Jill Kerekes

Archived