Quilting Accounting Programs

judie01

The other day I was researching on this board -- came across someone's post (among others) with a picture of a

client's invoice which showed the breakdown detail: quilting, batting, thread, etc. by individual price = Total Charge.****

Others were talking about what they charged & what accounting programs they used. I checked & checked; can't

find it! ! !

I was sure I copied it to safe place for further research & now

I can't find it! It was a great invoice!

Can anybody help me relocate this?

Thanks for help.

Can't help with the post, but the accounting program may have been Machine Quilters Business Manager. It is wonderful... Helps you keep track of all the basic things you think about and stuff you didn't think about. You can do discounts, expenses, income, separate tax rates, mailing lists...

www.eurekadocumentation.com

I have it and love it. No affiliation, just a happy customer

YOU GUYS ARE FABULOUS! ! ! ! That's it! ! ! THANK YOU; THANK YOU! (now I'm saving it in 2 separate places).;)

Those of you who know or use the program: can you tell me

if you enter your purchases -- does the accounting program

"tell you" what to charge for supplies? Does it factor a "mark-up" on those supplies?

Does it tell you/assist you to "make a profit" on the work

you are doing? (sorry, guys -- accounting person in prior life)

I know, I know -- when I'm ready -- go directly to the people who offer the program and I will but . . . .

Those of you who use --- is there anything you especially

DO NOT like about the program (maybe more

helpful to me)? I'd rather ask the users if I can.

Thanks.

The picture I found was Grammie Tammies invoice, and Yep, that's the Machine Quilters Business Manager. To answer some of your questions, no it doesn't calculate mark-up from cost of goods. I've used accounting programs that do that but they were aimed at retail not service situations. MQBM does help you sort supply costs vs. expenses, keeps track of batting and thread costs and income automatically and you can set it up to track things any way you like... as detailed or general as needed. I stared out using Quickbooks but it was really just accounting. MQBM also helps manage your customers, schedule quilts. (That's the part I'm still working on) and probably more stuff I haven't found yet. I love that it will figure quilting prices just by entering the size of the quilt... no calculating square inches or square yards, then price per yard, etc. If the customer doen't like the price, a few clicks and you change to simpler quilting and it's all recalculated. And you just print out a copy for them to take and everyone knows what was agreed on.

It will give you financial info so you can adjust pricing as needed. Like any program it's a "garbage in garbage out" thing. Your info is only as good as what you enter.

The only thing I don't like is that you can only have one screen open at a time (maybe I'm doing something wrong) But I seem to have to go back to the main menu every time I need a different report or screen.

Sorry to go on so long... I sound like an infomercial... Just happy with the program. I actually give it a lot of credit for where I am now... I've had my machine for 2 years, and in 20 days quilting becomes my "real job" and the other job takes 2nd place. :)

Thanks for your recommendations, especially your in-take order form. I tried to locate that person for the quick books

quilters accounting software but I couldn't find anything under her name. Do you happen to know the website?

Thank you.

Judie,

Just one more opinion FWIW. I think quickbooks is a great accounting program and will work, but if you are just getting started with a computer database for Quilting business, the MQBS by Eureka is so basic and so valuable.

Since we are mostly a cash in and cash out system, it makes the income and expenses so simple, since it isn't a full accounting program. But you can input so much more useful information for our longarm business and really seeing your profitability, even by the hour. It keeps track of all of your sales tax.

The invoices it produces can show so much for the client. And the program makes it so easy to input.

You can keep a separate simple ledger for your "fixed assets" ie machine, furniture etc. for your taxes or to give to your accountant. You just don't need to mix those.

It would be sort of a pain to switch over your client info if you already started on quickbooks, but if you haven't already got a program, I would check out the demo for MQBM.

Not that it makes a big difference, but I am a CPA and I love the simplicity of this cash system and database. and not to knock quickbooks, which is an excellent accounting software.

If I recall correctly, Bona Robinson is associated with www.quiltropolis.com , maybe you can track her down there. I remember she had modified a version of quickbooks years ago to work for the longarm biz, that Myrna mentioned.:)

HTH

PS - I just read Leslie's post and yes, I agree, it is very basic in the way you go back to the main menu to go somewhere else, and yes GIGO. I think it is mainly a database program on Outlook, which seems to work well for all the details about sq inches, thread color, type, that we love to keep:)

Thanks for your input; it was definitely on point from an

accountant. ;) I've had the same accountant for 25 years in the flower business and one of the things he taught me was that all those 'hidden' costs mount up & certainly reduce the bottom line. You can 'choose' to give away what ever you want but you must know what they are actually costing you on the bottom line.

Yes, I believe it was GrammieTammie's invoice and I really can't find it -- but I loved it -- there were things on there that I would not have thought to recover costs. Fair & equitable but still noted on her invoice. (was she an accountant in her prior life?);)

I realize that in some areas competition is pretty tight, more than a fair average of long arm quilters but. . . .

buying inventory that sits on a shelf until it's used or sold

takes money out of your pocket--it is a acceptable business

practice to put a little mark up on it because if you don't you're actually loosing money. ROThumb: non-perishable inventory that isn't turned over in 30-60 days is called stock piling & is costly long term. (Not talking about anybody's personal stash here.;) )

Whether one is operating a quilting store or a 'cottage industry' business -- everybody is entitled to make a profit

for all their effort. I don't think there is anything sadder than to work hard, get to the end of the job, and realize that "you have only broken even" against what it actually cost you to

do the quilt. Labor/time on machine to do quilt is a variable--the faster you are etc, etc.

Does anybody know what the national percentage average is for net profit? Somebody must have the stats somewhere.

Which brings me to my final question: Does anybody know

how those people on eBay are advertising to do quilting

for way less than $100.00? Are those ads, possibly & deceptively, a "loss leader"? Or similar to a bait & switch?

Everything I've learned on this board so far, clearly indicates

$69.00 is not possible for a double bed quilt!

Sorry for being so long on this post. Thank you .

• 8 months later...

Response to Ebay question from Judie -

I don\'t know how some of the quilters make money with the queens for less than $100.00 especially when they include batting and backing but they seem to get good feedback. If they love their work and they aren\'t into a huge profit then it is their business and back.

I get leads and make money off of my quilting services on Ebay. I charge an economy rate of .012 per square inch which isn\'t way off the mark but I include additional charges for thread, backing and batting. I advertise a 50 by 60 quilt for around $40.00 plus customer has to pay shipping. Do most customers have 50 by 60 quilts...yes and no... What this does is let me advertise to lots and lots of people for placing one weekly ad for around $2.00. If I sell an item, I do have to pay more Ebay charges but it has created leads for me. I get questions about my cost on bigger quilts and I quote them a price. I also make sure they understand that this is for "economy" quilting only and they are limited to certain designs. Most of the customers wanting services from Ebay are not die-hard quilters. Most of them have put together a somewhat decent quilt (I use Bonnie\'s starch method a lot!!) but they aren\'t show quilts and they don\'t want to pay custom prices...just want their quilt together. Machine binding to front and back is also offered for an additional amount. (The machine binding has given me approx. 25% increase in $$$ from my Ebay sales). This is machine binding on front and back and the Ebayers are fine with that. They want as much of the finished package as they can get.

I generate about 25% of my business from Ebay...one customer sent me 8 quilts over a 3 month period. The Ebay customers are usually really nice and so appreciative of the quilting work. If you do go the Ebay route, you have to have a thick skin. You will get lots of questions about your work and you will have to communicate a lot but that alone may not necessarily create a customer. Also, if you are new to Ebay and you don\'t have much feedback, you need to be really, really patient...your rating is everything...

Also, there are longarm quilters who do successfully sell custom quilting services on Ebay. They don\'t compromise on their price, advertise their services well and they have lots of feedback. A teacher from the the National quit shows sells her artistic quilting services successfully on Ebay.

If you prefer quilting for the locals in your area, don\'t like communicating via email and want to charge custom prices only...then Ebay may not be the right place for you to sell your services.

Oh...one more thought...if you have a website and link it to your Ebay items, you will get lots of traffic to your site...and you get listed in the search engines really fast (via Ebay of course).

There is also a chat for longarmers on Ebay that you can join. There isn\'t a lot of activity but we do talk about "Ebay" business ideas. EBay, contrary to popular opinion, shouldn\'t be a four-letter word:P It\'s like any other business opportunity...you get out of it what you put in it...and it won\'t happen over night!

If you are embarrassed about Ebay but want to try it cause you need the business, then create a user name than can\'t be associated with you, don\'t tell your guild friends and go for it!

J.A.M - If you are asking me - I carry warm and natural (not included in the $40.00) and I only do pantos for the Ebay economy price. I do custom and heirloom just not for .012 per sq inch and not through Ebay. I create an item on Ebay and this creates the advertising...I think you can also place ads only on Ebay but I\'ve never done this.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about this sort of business program when I took classes at Longarm University last Nov. 2007. Looks like it is very user friendly, will hopefully simplify my recordkeeping and such when I start business officially in April.

Thank you all for the vital infos,

Corey.

Judie,

I have both Machine Quilters Business Manager (MQBM) ($150) and the Organized Quilter ($50) from Eureka:

http://www.eurekadocumentation.com/systemcomponents.htm

Their web-site gives examples of screen shots and invoices, It is a database program (Access) that you must build your own stuff into. You can enter infor about and snapshots of pantos, templates, patterns into Organzied Quilter. MQBM does caluculate quilting costs for you once you have set up your pricing, batting, thread charges, taxes. The invoice prints, including your logo if desired. You then have a permanent record of that quilt which you can sort by customer to see what other services you have performed for her such as binding, trimming, etc. The is a place for notes that print onthe invoice.

I got the software for Christmas and am using it already and building the database as I go. You are allowed to install it on 2 computers so you can have one in your studio and one in your office. My DH does the books for me so he has it on his computer, too. It is copyrighted, though and not meant to share with friends. :)

I am also taking the classes for these 2 programs at MQS in May. Oh, and I am not affiliated either just like the product.

The product includes documentation and there has been a recent (downloadable) update to both the software (60Mb) and the documentation (I also agree with Lesley, returning to the Main Menu is a hassle, though quick. And if you are computer challenged, posting a photo can be hit or miss. I am a computer geek so it doesn\'t bother me. My friend alwasy has difficulty posting photos on Quilt Organizer. I have been making a list of questions, complaints and suggestions to pass along to Eureka.

I do believe that the product is useful and I will continue to use it for my business.

Archived