Removing thread cutter

I have a Millennium since 2006. I do not recommend removing the thread cutter.... Just let it be. The Hartley base will no longer fit if you remove it. I actually like having the thread cutter on there because it gives me a little more "base" for my ruler work if I need to do something small and not install the ruler base. 

I already found a used Hartley base that is for one without the thread cutter and removed the thread cutter this morning.  It was actually very easy to take off and since I never use it, was in the way.  Especially when using rulers.  The cover over it always tips my ruler at a slight angle making it more awkward to use. 

• 1 month later...

I'm really glad I removed the thread cutter from my 2013 Millie, too.  I never use it, and I bought the Hartley ruler base from APQS designed for machines without a thread cutter.  Fits perfectly. The smaller, non-thread cutter ruler base doesn't tip on me like the one that fits the ruler base did, and I like the smaller profile.  Less weight is helpful for me when doing hand guided quilting as well as pantographs, because a lighter weight machine changes direction more easily when doing a long, sweeping curve or something like that where you need a little speed.  Flashbacks from physics class long ago, object in motion wanting to continue in motion, yada yada...  I know that Mass was in that inertia equation somewhere!