memory blocks quilt

Need you guys expert help!

I'm quilting an awesome memory quilt but the blocks are really larger than expected.  They are 18" they are the button down shirt including a collar.  it is 3 blocks horizontally and 4 vertical length and sashing on the sides and top and bottom.  I did a design on the sashing, I am thinking do I really have to stitch the blocks, this is why I'm asking you all.  I was going to do all the quilting from the front of my machine. I need some comments,  please. 

Mwrubles,

Every batting has a minimum quilting distance.  Warm and Natural is 10 inches minimum.  Hobbs batting minimum is primarily 4 inches Other battings may have a shorter or longer minimum quilting distance.  See below and checkout link; https://www.hobbsbatting.com/products/.  Read your batting instructions to find your minimum quilting distance.

I would quilt the top at a minimum of the required quilting distance.  Otherwise you are asking for future problems after the quilt is used/loved and then washed.  Try following some of the designs of on the shirts if you are concerned about free motioning the quilt blocks.  Make the highlights of the individual shirts stand out.  

You could also flip up the shirt collar and quilt a line where the color joins the shirt, and then follow it down the button area.  You could also add a line where the collar folds back on itself.

Best of luck with your project.

Cagey 

Quilt or tie up to 10″ apart! Quilt Warm & Natural right out of the package, as pre-washing is not necessary. Once quilted, machine wash and dry your finished quilt in cold water. 3% shrinkage can be expected in the first wash with cold water. To achieve an antique puckered look use warm water for 5% shrinkage. Warm & Natural won’t distort when hanging, hooping or when used in quilt frames. It can be used for both batting and as an exterior craft fabric to create stuffed snowmen and rabbits.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 1:30 AM, Cagey said:

Mwrubles,

Every batting has a minimum quilting distance.  Warm and Natural is 10 inches minimum.  Hobbs batting minimum is primarily 4 inches Other battings may have a shorter or longer minimum quilting distance.  See below and checkout link; https://www.hobbsbatting.com/products/.  Read your batting instructions to find your minimum quilting distance.

I would quilt the top at a minimum of the required quilting distance.  Otherwise you are asking for future problems after the quilt is used/loved and then washed.  Try following some of the designs of on the shirts from https://rebeliation.com/ if you are concerned about free motioning the quilt blocks.  Make the highlights of the individual shirts stand out.  

You could also flip up the shirt collar and quilt a line where the color joins the shirt from authentic vlone, and then follow it down the button area.  You could also add a line where the collar folds back on itself.

Best of luck with your project.

Cagey 

Quilt or tie up to 10″ apart! Quilt Warm & Natural right out of the package, as pre-washing is not necessary. Once quilted, machine wash and dry your finished quilt in cold water. 3% shrinkage can be expected in the first wash with cold water. To achieve an antique puckered look use warm water for 5% shrinkage. Warm & Natural won’t distort when hanging, hooping or when used in quilt frames. It can be used for both batting and as an exterior craft fabric to create stuffed snowmen and rabbits.

Thanks a lot for sharing the solution. I have tried this and it worked for me.