Stitching speed for free style quilting

Grammybear

I am a novice at free style quilting and am experiencing major problems trying to regulate my stitching feed. I have a Baby Lock and have always had problems keeping the speed of my stitches and my foot control in sync.  It's probably me and my heavy foot, but I was wondering if there is a foot control that is easier to regulate (control) than what I have. I don't think there is anything special about the foot control needed for a Baby Lock, and I have not heard that there is anything special to use for free style quilting. Help the baby is due in 7 weeks and I still have not one stitch that I am satisfied with.

If we are talking DSM (domestic sewing machine) Baby Lock, then set the maximum stitch speed about medium.  Then with a practice quilt sandwich draw some straight lines and and some swirls.  As everyone knows how they sign their name, practice quilting that.  

You must move your hands in the proper relation with your needle speed.  If you feel the fabric tugging against the needle, then you need to speed up the needle.  If your needle is doing repeated stitches in one spot or with very short stitch spacing you are depressing the foot peddle too much.  Back off a little on the foot pressure, and slow the needle down.  

Practice signing your name bigger than normal, and see how you like your stitches.  Then write some words.  It will take a few hours to get the hang of it.  Try some small pebbling.  They hide all kinds of errors.  

Get some paper and simply doodle your designs on the paper.  Draw out some quilt blocks, so you have to make your mind learn how to get into and more importantly out of corners.  You can always back track over your stitch lines, but it is easier to not have to do this when you are starting out.  Doodling the designs will help you immensely in my opinion.  

Watch some YouTube videos on free motion quilting.  

Angela Walters, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cpUWw5zYMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySDgXzE5JY    Maybe more appropriate for a boy

Leah Day  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzrOxAkNIGM

Watch this video to learn how to Fluff and Stuff your quilt top, so you can freely move the fabric under your hopping foot.  This is a must for good quality stitches.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmbTbbDclw  Paula has a great video and a class on Craftsy teaching all her techniques.

If you do not have your quilting table in a left hand corner, that is where you want it.  That is to say the back of the table is up against the wall on the back and the left hand side.  This way the quilt top cannot fall off the back or left side when using a DSM.  Having the fabric free from binding is KEY to good quilting.  

Get some cheap rubberized garden gloves so you can get a better grip on the fabric and you move it around.  There are many quilting gloves, and other items that everyone is going to tell you that is best.  What truly is best, is what works for you.  Expect to have a few pairs of gloves or other things to grip the fabric.  Putting a little hand lotion on your hands will also work wonders.  You can buy some SortKwick finger moistener like bank teller use to help improve the grip.  It will not stain your quilt top.  They have it at Walmart or the office store.

Some are going to tell you to buy a silicone topper for your quilt table.  It is fine, but I found that silicon spray works fine for me.  https://www.amazon.com/Sullivans-946-Silicone-Spray-Sewing/dp/B01IE7LSGK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1N7SCLTUH2XFG&dchild=1&keywords=silicone+spray+for+quilting&qid=1612813256&s=arts-crafts&sprefix=silicone+spray%2Carts-crafts%2C183&sr=1-2  You put a little on a small piece of fabric and rub it onto the top of your quilting table.  

You can also use Renaissance Wax https://quiltersapothecary.com/search?type=product&q=renaissance+wax  I have both and the both work well.  See two products for the same task.  You will always be trying new things.  Jamie Wallen has some great quilting YouTube videos too.

Try to buy local or from a quilt store verses Amazon.  We need to keep the local quilt stores open.

You can find all kinds of quilting examples.  Find a quilt design that you and that can be used for an edge to edge design.  Doodle the heck out of the design in front of the TV in the evening.  

If you quilt in the evening, I have been told one glass of wine will help your quilting flow more freely .  It might even give you more confidence, or make you not so picky about your stitches.  

I you are using a Baby Lock sit-down "Handiquilter' clone, you can buy a stitch regulator.  You might even be able to add it to your BabyLock DSM, but your mind is the best speed controller ever made.  Plus it is free.  If the stitch regulator puck only moves a little, while your hands move the fabric a little more your stitches will be messed up.  I did not like the stitch regulator for small detailed quilting.  I also was not willing to part with the money it cost.  Purely my opinion, but I do not believe it is worth the money.  Put a few more hours of practice in, you will be money ahead and more satisfied in the end.  

Finally, DO NOT be your worst critic.  The baby will not notice any long or short stitches.  Most quilters will not notice them either.  Your family will only see all the love you put into the quilt and quilting.  

Just be certain you make sure your family is quilt worthy.  You do not want to see that hard made quilt in the dog kennel a few months after you gave it to the new baby.  It is one thing to have the baby and the dog using the quilt, it is another to only have the dog using the quilt.  If I found my quilt being used solely by the dog, I would consider that brach of the family non-quilt worthy, and change my future gift giving.  

Best of luck.  Show us some of your practice samples, and your finished quilt.  I am certain we will all love your work.  There are only happy accidents.  

Cagey

Happy.jpg