Quilt top longer on the right side than the left side.

I have quilted on the Millie for years. Periodically I have quilt top that appears to be longer on the right side than the left side. When I get to the bottom row, there is sometimes a three or four inch difference between the length on the left side of the quilt compared to the right side of the quilt. I am making the assumption that when the owner is sewing it together, they sew from the left to the right, thus stretching the right side. They don’t actually do the measurement, instead just keep adding. Has this happened with any of you, do anyone have a solution, answer or has this happened to you as well. 

When you are advancing down the quilt, do the rows across appear straight? Are the vertical rows straight? If you are seeing straight rows in both directions, as you are quilting the top, then, yes, they probably did add the rows and borders as you mentioned. But, if you see crooked rows, esp. horizontally, then you may be pulling one side downward as you realign the top after advancing the quilt. I find that using a "L" square is tremendously helpful to prevent this. Also, standing at the end of the frame and visually checking the straightness of the rows helps too. I float all my tops so if I see any rows that are getting crooked, then it is easy to correct it further up the quilt, then it would be if I miss it and find it on the last row. Some tops just need a straight basting row to hold it in place those spots where they start to become crooked.

Do you measure the quilt tops before loading?  That would give you advance warning that there is a problem.  If it is always the right side that is longer, I have to wonder if it is something you are doing as you advance the quilt, as Debbie mentioned above, or if your leaders are not quite square.  Debbie gave good advice.

This often happens to me so I’m pleased I’m not alone.   Mine is the right side when facing machine......I have tried numerous methods.  Currently,  if quilt does not have a straight line of horizontal seams,  I mark my tops every 12” or so on each side before I load quilt, then use horizontal channel lock every time I roll to check the marks are in line.
I also use the horizontal channel lock to run along the horizontal seam lines as I roll quilt.     This has helped ......

• 2 weeks later...