Polyquilter Thread problems - or me?

Have been working on a quilt for a friend that has black batting and black backing. Used Polyquilter thread on top and black bottom line in the bobbin. Problem is every once in a while a piece of top thread would pull to the bottom and break off looking like a stray. Needless to say I didn't notice this until I looked underneath to check tension. Tension wasn't the greatest as the top thread kept pulling thru making the backing look like white batting pokies as well. Used a new needle and fiddled with tension forever. What am I doing wrong? I'm so new I'm not familiar with all the tricks.

pat

Guest Linda S

Pat - my best advice to you is to go to www.superiorthreads.com and bookmark the "Tug of War" article you will find in the education section. It always seems to be my lifesaver when my thread does not want to play nicely with me. Also, do you have a bobbin tension gauge? You can get one from APQS, or they have them at Columbia River Quilting or Kingsmen. I'm not very good at doing the drop test, and I think that little tension gauge saves me a whole lotta grief when using new kinds of thread. I've only been quilting on my Liberty since last July and, with Superior's education page and my tension gauge, I haven't found a thread yet that my Liberty doesn't like. Best of luck getting it right.

Linda

Pat,

I had alot of problems with Polyquilter at first also! I vowed never to use it, but I REALLY liked the way it looked - so I came back to it and kept on trying. I usually use Bottom Line in the bobbin too. I was looking at the sticker inside the spopl that says to "loosen top tension to 2.0", so I was loosening the top tension like I would for cotton. BUT - for me, I had to tighten the tension! I just kept tightening it until the thread quilt poking through to the back and I quit getting those occasional loops of top thread. Good luck!

Terri

Thanks for the input to my problems. Have had to work all last week so today is devoted to tension solving problems. I am determined to whip this as I just love the look of the polyquilter thread. The friend that I did the quilt for just loved it and didn't mind the pokies at all. She's going to wash it and see if they disappear. Thank heavens for GOOD friends. Anyway...... it's off to play today with a full pot of coffee, maybe that should be a full bottle of wine. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.

pat

Archived