Front and back Minky

DawnB

I am trying to quilt a blanket with minky on the front and back, customer requested no batting. I’m having issues with the top thread shredding. What can I tweak to get this to sew properly? No issues with cotton only quilts. 

2 hours ago, SueD said:

I have issues with top thread shredding when I have the quilt rolled too tight on the frame.  I think that might easily happen with minky on top and bottom.  Have you tried loosening it a bit?

Tried that and have included a batting layer. Changed needle, rethreaded, cleaned bobbin area and still my thread is shredding. 

Dawn, 

Try turning your pig tail guides upside down and rethread.  It is common to get a groove worn Into them and the top thread will shred.  If you turn them upside down and your shredding stops that is probably the problem.  When we had our machines we would change the guides about every nine months.  

Nigel

1 hour ago, RunningThreads said:

Dawn, 

Try turning your pig tail guides upside down and rethread.  It is common to get a groove worn Into them and the top thread will shred.  If you turn them upside down and your shredding stops that is probably the problem.  When we had our machines we would change the guides about every nine months.  

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I’ll try that. I’m also thinking my needle might be wrong for working with so much minky. Ballpoint seems to be suggested and I’m using a sharp.