Hartley New Vertical front cone holder

guineasrule

I haven't seen this. Can you give me an example of when you would use it? I have cone holders on both sides of my machine at the back and have the horizontal spool holders on the top for small decorative spools. Is this just supposed to make thread change easier, or when do you use it?

Linda

I have the Hartley vertical spool holder. I use it whenever I'm using Superior Rainbow threads. There is no problem with the thread coming off the cone, but I have found it doesn't work well with Aurafil-Signature-or Valdani threads, so I use them on the back with greater success.

Happy Quilting,:D

Linda B.

Oregon

APQS Millennium

I have the vertical cone holders and love it. I was doing some pieces where I was changing the thread a lot. It was handy to not run to the back of the machine every time I need to change. I usually had two cones on there, and two spools on the horizontal holders. I also had a color on the back and when I would cut the back thread, I wrapped the tail around one or the other holders just to keep it reachable from the front. Clear as mud??

Anyway, the projects I was doing was the 3 calendar button on pieces by Joined At The Hip for the LQS. Photos are in my Custom Quilting webshots album.

Happy quilting,

:D

Thanks for the feed back, but I'm still confused as to how the thread feeds off the cones. Is the thread guide off to the side of the cone on your holders? Which thread guides do you put your thread through once it is coming down the side of the machine. I bought the cone holder so I could change threads from the front of the machine since that is were I work from. I hope I can make it work since I think it would be very convenient.

Lynn Eckman

Carol,

Your quilting is beautiful. I love the hearts on the "inner border". Using the vertical cone holder for all of the thread changes is a great idea.

In the "Advanced/Basic quilting 05 album", what is the panto on the Sat. Sampler, the black background one? Thank you for sharing.

Teri

Hi Lynn,

I have taken two pictures of my setup and hope I can get them to be attached. I have my cone holder set a little differently than directed as my spool holder was already on. Anyway, I thread over the guide on the cone hold and then directly to the 3-hole guide above the tension controls.

Usually I use all three holes. When using Sulky invisible, I use on the first and third hole. It seems to work for me. On the second picture I used the black thread from the cone and went over the guide on the cone holder and then down. With this setup I can change 5 threads (including the back) without running around the machine. The big cones won't fit on the front holder, so then I have to run to back.

Terri,

Thanks for the compliment on the quilting. The panto I used for the body of the quilt was "Morning Glory" by Norma Sharp of Simply Quilting Stitches. The border was done free hand. The hearts of the inner border of the Feb. calendar piece was a freehand design I learned from DeLoa Jones at MQS.

Hopes this helps,

Okay, now I don't see that I can attach the pictures from the quick reply. I'll try from the other area.

I use both vertical cone holder and the horizontal spool holder as Carol does. I thread the machine as normal only starting from the cone holder or spool holder as well as the thread type I am running. They are such a time saver for me as I don't have to go to the back to change thread. I can have 5 threads on at a time as Carol said. It's great when you are changing back and forth. You can see photos of both on my website at www.aquilterschoice.com

• 4 years later...

Myrna, I sent you an email earlier today regarding my question then realized I could have checked out here on the forum board as well. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a light system above their table and has mounted the vertical cone holders on their machines.

I purchased a lighting system from Cranberry Quiltworks a few years ago. The system consists of two flourescent lights mounted on a u-shaped frame that mounts to the table sides (similiar to the cord track from APQS). From the top of my Mille to the light system I have less than 10" clearance. So....when I started to mount my vertical cone holder on top of my machine (per the mounting directions included), I realized it wouldn't clear the lighting system. My husband suggested mounting the cone holder further back (about the middle of the machine); however, I'm not sure how this would affect threading and/or stitching.

My question: Has anyone mounted their cone holder further back than the 2" noted in the mounting directions?

I really don't want to have to remove my lighting system because my overhead room lighting just isn't enough.

Thanks.

Patti Hokanson

Eagan MN

www.quiltsfromthetrail.com

Carol,

I have both the horizontal and the vertical Hartley spool holders, but I have my vertical spool holder near the front of the machine, and the horizontal one behind it. I see in your pictures that you have yours just the opposite of mine. I guess it really doesn't matter, as mine seem to work OK for me. I wonder how others have theirs set up?

What is that circular thing to the right of your 3 hole guide? Is it something you added to your Millie, or did it come on it? I don't have it on my Liberty. Just curious.

Thanks,

Sandy

Carol, what is the extra guide/tension thingy just before you go into the spring dial? is that an extra guide? for tension? Was it something you added, or did it come standard on your MIllie? I too have both these cone/spooll therad holders. I love not having to walk to the back all the time to change threads!

That is the "on board" bobbin winder. They don't have these "on board" the newer model longarm machines. Now they sell the turbo winder that is separate.

Yes, isn't that sad about Carol Wiles? I got to meet her last year at MQS; and she was in a wheel chair at that time, and her strength was minimal, so I knew it was just a matter of time for her... :( They had some nice articles in Unlimited Possibilties magazine about Carol and tributes memories of her many friendships.

Archived