How do you respond to someone who cuts down your machine?

OK, this did not happen to me, but it did happen to another longarmer (owns a Milli) up here in my town. I was invited to visit her home yesterday (she's had her Millennium for approx 5 years) and she was being very gracious to me, sharing knowledge, tips, and she even gave me some of her panto patterns (easier ones) so I can start practicing on them. I am so grateful for her generosity!!! :) She is soooo sweet (and so very fun!) Anyway, she told me a story that happened about a year or so ago...Apparently, one of the other longarmers in our town who owns a Gammill (I know this woman and I have quilted on her Gammill several years ago), anyway, she came over to see the Millennium and apparently (right in front of my friend) cut apart her machine. From what was explained, apparently she grabbed the handles of the Milli and started moving the machine around saying "Oh no! This is terrible...this is awful!" (meaning the machine was so hard to move around) and saying and doing other nit-picky things, cutting down her Millennium (right in front of her face!!!) I cannot believe the blatant odacity of this person!!!! :( How rude!!! Anyway, I think my friend just stood there and didn't get offensive. I think she was shocked speechless. My friend is in her 60's (actually, I think she's in her 70's) and the Gammill owner is younger (like in her 40's). This just breaks my heart that this could happen. Why would anyone be so blatantly rude to a woman, especially someone who is an elder...right in front of them? I could never imagine it. Oh my Goodness! I told my friend not to worry because I AM NOT A QUILT SNOB! She is safe with me. :)

So, that said, how does one defend themselves and their Millennium from rude people such as this? Perhaps this might happen to me some day and I don't want to sit there like a bump on a log, speechless, but knowing me, I might be just as stunned.

OK, so give me some ammo! What to do in case this happens to me?

Let me just add one more thing: I think all longarms, like the Gammills, A-1's, APQS, etc., have their good qualities about them. I can truly say I appreicate all of them and I could never ever cut them apart and be nitpicky. It's just like driving a car: A Ford, a Chevy, a Toyota... they all drive you down the road, but they all have their differences...these cars are all built different and made that way so they appeal to all sorts of people. In the end...these cars all do exactly what they are supposed to do: get you where you need to go...down the road! So, why can't quilt snobs appreciate all quilting machines for what they are made for? In the end, they all do the same thing. They quilt your quilt...beautifully.... Sheesh! :( Some people!!

OK, I'm getting off my soap box, now. And, that's enough coffee for me today, LOL! ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would just tell the person that "that even though she may not like my machine I do and that since I paid for it and not her she has no say in my taste in machines. Then I would show her all the wonderful things that I have quilted on it and let the quality speak for itself.

Plus we all have are own preferances when it comes to a long arm just like our DSM. After saying the above statement I would try to over look any other bad manors that the individual may say or do in regaurds to my machine.

Joann

I think I would reply something like this.

"Oh well. At least I'm in good company with my poor taste in machines. Many of the award winning quilters & longarm teachers have switched from Gammills to APQS Millenniums in the last few years. I figure if it's good enough for them (name some names, which I won't do here!), it's good enough for me too. ;)

Then smile and put the ball back in her court.

"BTW, how much "down-time" do you schedule for each month? How about maintenance? How much time do you allow for leveling the quilt after each roll? How many parts do you have to stock "just in case"?" etc. etc. etc. :P

Hi Shana, I agree that all the machines have there good points!! I bought

my Ultimate II used because the price was right. It wouldn't of mattered

what machine it was as long as I could afford it.

I recently went to the NQA show and put an ad on the back of my back

pack for my Ultimate II. I had a lot of comments about the ad. One was

from different brand of long-arm machines. They asked me what I had

bought to replace it and I told them. The one said yep that is a great deal

I would have done the same thing. The other had nothing but horrible

things to say about APQS machines and frames. I just think that is so

rude. Not because of my feelings but you shouldn't put down the

competition if you want to win. After saying the things she did, I would

never want to own one of her machines. Not because of the machine but

because of her behavior about the other products available. It is one

thing to think your product is the best but that doesn't mean you have to

rip all the other products apart when you know someone has one.

SOOOO. .... I would just blow it off and smile. Some things might be better

left unsaid.

Maybe the best thing to do is quilt award winning quilts with

your Milli, that would SHOW anyone who thinks your machine isn't "worthy"

that it is.

Smiles,

Michele

Shana,

This year at MQS we sat down at a table between classes or during a class we skipped or slipped out of :) and an older woman sat down with some other ladies already there - she was their mom, probably 65ish. Linda (Ramona) started talking to her and found out that she had a quilt in the show....can't remember if it won a ribbon or not...but she asked Linda what kind of machine she had and Linda told her APQS. Her response, "I wouldn't have one of those things! I have a Gammill." Okie Dokie...I didn't hear this conversation (I was probably running my own mouth), but I hope Linda reads this and tells us what she said. I kind of have a feeling she had the same response your friend did. Why DO people do that??

I would probably go with Joann's response.

There are a number of great machines out there. It really is a personal choice. What works for one person, doesn't another and since no one is asking that woman to pay for their machine, why would she care? Glad her choice of machine is working out for her.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where several of us (five) have started getting together every other month just because. There are two Millies, a Liberty and a Gammill represented. I would no more think of putting down the Gammill than I would hope someone would want to put down my Millie. The gal jokes that she is the only Gammill girl in the group. We all don't care. We have so much fun when we get together that that overrides everything. I value their friendship and experience. That is what is important to me.

Darlene's response is very good also! Harder to argue with.

I am a total newbie here, and i went to MQS with no LA machine (yet, it's coming in September). I had made up my mind on a Freedom SR - and got raised eyebrows from several Gammill owners. One woman told me that I could get more stuff at a lower price with Gammill and I told her that we all pretty much fall in love with one machine/brand and that it's like buying a car with our personal favorites, etc. She looked at me like I was an alien (which I'm not!). Like, who could pass up her deal.....blah blah blah. I did not once put down Gammill (how could I?). I don't have any bad feelings towards any other brand, just happen to love the APQS people and the machines.

Hi Shana

I can't believe you'd be lost for words - I'm sure you'd say something very funny and outrageous!!!

You could simply say "thats how I felt about your brand when I tried it"!!

I'd probably have asked her if she realised that the "feel" of an APQS machine can be set to the customer's preference unlike other brands of machine and that was probably why the world's best quilters choose APQS and many have converted from other brands.

Sue in Australia

I agree with Darlene.

In spite of not being a huge fan of APQS machines, there are some phenomenally talented quilters who are and they can't all be wrong. ;) The machine that is right for you will vary from person to person.

When I had a Gammill, I once had a person come in and exclaim that "Oh, you have a GAMMILL! Those are the Cadillacs of the quilting world, aren't they!" I was taken aback a bit. While I really did like my Gammill, thought it was a great machine, I also realized that this is not a one size fits all sort of machine.

So I just smiled and said that I was very pleased with my machine but that today there are many top quality machine brands out there. It would be very hard to declare one better than the other. It's whatever fits your particular needs. Then I directed the conversation elsewhere.

I'm so sorry your friend had to experience the thoughtlessness of that individual. If there is a next time, perhaps she will be armed and ready. :)

Ok, Shana, I owe you big time, so here's what I"d do......

OTHER quilting machine (not APQS) owner: "Argg! this is terrible! etc.etc.etc....."

Very gentile APQS owner (YOU, Shana!): "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you've only been using a Gammill..... I got rid of my training wheels years ago. This must be very hard for you, dear. Let me turn on the stitch regulator for you..... etc. etc. etc...." (Unless you're already using it, in which case you can just go get a panto for her, etc. etc. etc....). LOL! I'm afraid I'm not as nice as you, and would just lay right into her.

Guess I'd better go back and read some of the posts above, because I'm sure I need all that good advice much more than you do. Really! :)

But here's a realy little piece of wisdom I'm just learning (yes, it takes me longer than most). You get what you look for in this life. Look for roses, you'll get them. Look for thorns, you'll get them. Take your pick. I bet if such a thing ever happens to you, you'll be able to hold out an olive branch, because that's the kind of lady I find you to be, Shana. So don't worry, it probably won't happen, but if it does, you'll know how to handle it. With a smile, as usual, and a kind word, also as usual. :)

Bless you. Now that's all the wine I should probably have for one evening, LOL!!!

Hi Shana--

Sheesh! Some people! How can she be so opinionated when all she has ever used is a G?

Stupidity is "contagious" so I would stay far away from her!

I'm with Patty--rude people need to be treated like wayward children--it drives 'em crazy!!

Linda Rech

Guest Linda S

Oh, I probably would say some really nasty like - "I'm sorry - I've adjusted my machine to work for my type of quilting. It probably wouldn't work for quilting the kind of quality YOU put out!" :P That would be to the person moving my machine around. If someone said, I wouldn't have an APQS - I have a Gammill, I'd just say the feeling is mutual! All the machines have great features and some of them fit some people better than others. My Liberty and I are a good match. I can't imagine having anything else! :cool:

Linda

Hi Shana,

I never cease to be amazed at the thoughtlessness of some people. I am not convinced that they are all malicious and that negative ? they SIMPLY DON?T GET IT!!!! I?m sorry that you were exposed to a situation that shocked and disillusioned you. I really dislike being put into that kind of situation that makes me uncomfortable or makes me question my own judgement and choices. I regularly encounter other quilters who seem friendly enough until they hear I am also a longarmer. Some could not wait to share their opinion on longarmers and their work, Thanks?.. Only last week someone in my guild was telling me how behind she was in getting her tops quilted and was considering the purchase of a longarm. I shared that I purchase my machine to try and take care of my own backlog and quilt for other quilters. She inquired about my machine and if I would let her come over and see the studio sometime. Sure, no problem. This week she told another friend and I sitting at the same table that she had changed her mind because after giving it some consideration she considered machine quilting ?cheating our creations?. GEEZ LOUISE!! You can?t figure some people out.

Anyway, I know that my work is better than average, I have very steady work from clients, and I am trying to challenge myself to learn new technique all the time. I make time for community service quilting and even sneak in a little for myself. I have paid off my machine and lots of extras in the two years I have had it and I have decided to ?soldier on? and take what I hear with a grain of salt. Keep positive. Focus on making best friends with your machine and make yourself happy. PPP. Your clients will pick up on your confidence or lack thereof.

Keep Quilting!

Laides,

I know the feeling, I am right in the middle of Gammill country here in Atlanta, Georgia (we have a new APQS rep near by though!!) I have received a few faces when I have answered the question of what type of LA I have. Now I have a very dear friend who has a Gammill and respectfully remained quiet when I told her I bought an APQS. WELL.... when she came over to see my new Liberty last fall and tried it and I went through all the features, and the oiling points and how easy it was to adjust the tension and all the different threads I use - she was jealous and she loved the fact that the machine was so light. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice LA machines out there, and I have tried a lot of them and made my choice, but I would NEVER tell someone that their machine was awful.

TACKY TACKY TACKY.

Shanna, tell those ladies to get a life!!!!

One thing to remember is that people like this cannot be reasoned with...so don't even try!!! They are right no matter what!!!

I agree with Darlene's comments (and wish I had the nerve to reply as Patch would;))....I would probably say that I'm so fortunate that my Liberty is what suits me just fine, and leave it at that.

Shana, your sweet nature comes through loud and clear on this forum...I'm sure you'd have no problem dealing with whatever comes your way!!!

Shana - as your mood says - you are Spunky! One Spunky Monkey!! I

agree with all above. I think you will do just fine if the moment ever comes

your way, and unfortuantly it probably will at some point and time. You do

not strike me as a person that would be at a loss for words!!:D:D (I DO

mean that in a good way!!) ;)

Just do your own thing and don't let them get you down!

We like your smile!

My friend and quilting partner told me my machine drives like a truck. Oh well!! It works for me. It's not without flaws, but not one machine is. By the way, she is a Gammil girl (GG). I respect her opinion but I am doing fine and not ready to give up. I have a new SR coming so hope that will solve a few problems. My Mille should have low self-esteem because I sound like a long shoreman when I was cussing at it this weekend. Have confidence in yourself and your machine and no matter what the barb is, it won't hurt!!

Dear friends,

What would I do without you all to keep me centered and on track? I don't know... I so much appreciate all of your advice, thoughts, feedback. You all are a wealth of knowledge and are so good for my soul. Thank you for this. Consider yourselves ((((hugged)))) by me! :) You're the best!!!

Happy quilting............

Shana

When someone puts down an APQS machine it is only out of envy. The stitch quality is of the highest standard. The machine is not a heavy and the bobbin is designed to prevent backlash. This person is mean spirited. I tried all the machines at last years inovations in Tacoma Washington. APQS was one of two I narrowed it down to. What it came down to for me was the stitch quality. The weight difference. AND the great customer support we all have with APQS. Just smile and remember this and let everything else fall away. OH and eat some chocolate..

Nora,

Millenium

Archived