How do you respond to someone who cuts down your machine?

I have also gotten rude comments about my choice of machine (which is not an APQS, by the way). I love my machine as all quilters love their machines. I would NOT stoop to their level by putting down the brand of machine that they have, but would simply say something to the effect of how quilting machines are like cars and not everyone drives the same car. I don't care what anyone says--at the end of the day all these machines do the same thing, QUILT. What one quilter likes in one machine, another may not like. Personally, I thinks it's great that there are choices out there :)

Gable

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I do not think that the commets were so much about which longarm the two ladies had and that they were different but that the lady (well not sure if she is a lady.............woman) was just downright rude! My brother in law came to visit us once at Christmas and brought his girlfriend. Well she and I were in the kitchen and she just out of nowhere started in on my curtains..................then she went in the dinning room and started ranting about the curtains in there how awful they were...................I was just floored! How totally rude.

LOL; as a previous "G" owner I would have offered my condolences and moved on, that usually quiets even the mean ones! If not the "wow - sucks to be you" phrase always works!

I am grateful for my Millie everyday (yes even on bad thread days)..

Teri

Everybody has favorites. Just because I like vanilla ice cream doesn't mean that chocolate isn't good, too. But some folks go beyond rude all the way to spiteful.

As Mary Beth mentioned earlier in this thread, I had a brief chat with a woman at MQS. She asked me what machine I use, I said "APQS". She said "I wouldn't use one of those".

I wasn't trying to steal her lunch or posion her cat. This was just "strangers at a lunch table" small talk.

I wanted to throw down .... tell the teacher.... slap her face with my gloves.... meet her in the parking lot after school. :D But I didn't do any of these things.

I turned my back on her and ate my lunch. Life is short and full of people that are fun to be around. I'm a big believer in what goes around...comes around. ;)

I have a Freedom SR and absolutely LOVE it. I Tried that other brand and liked the APQS so much better. I could never "cut" another quilters' choice in machines or materials. Only hope their harsh words don't hurt anyone.

I honestly don't know what I would say, probably get defensive, quiet and really angry at the smart things I should have said and didn't.

I love this board. thanks so much

bobbi

I drove a Gammill for 3 years, quilting 5 days a week, all day long for a quilt shop. When my husband and I went to Paducah to try all the machines to decide what to buy to start my own studio, I asked APQS if they had addressed any of the issues I had with Gammill and they had a whole list of improvements, which I tried out.

Then I went to the Gammill and asked why I should stick with them and did they address any of the issues I had. They said the greatest new thing they had was " You can get this in Purple now!" Wow! They denied anything needed to be changed on their magnificent machine. I walked home with the shipping order for an APQS. Still, I have 2 friends with Gammills and they are quite happy. Find the one that fits.

Little girls can be down right mean. Think back, for some of us that is a little more difficult than for others ;) But don't you remember how little girls would whisper to each other - and you knew they were talking about you! The thing is, some of us grew up (most of the way), and some of us didn't! My mom taught me not to be rude. I don't care what kind of machine someone else has. I don't think the entire skill comes from having a certain machine, but from the person guiding the machine. So what if we have APQS or they have Nolting or Gammill...I can think whatever I want to, but I don't have to say it out loud. They are just rude and we should ignore the comments.

Linda, I really wanted to see you take her down....cause I would have put my money on you!!:D

Here's my 2 cents worth....

"The proof is in the puddin' dear"

If you can have fun and quilt with it, and put out a great product then it's a great machine. They all quilt, it's just that some quilt easier than others. :-)

Thank goodness we have choices, not only in machines, but who we wish to talk to as well.

having tried most of the machines out there (including gammill) i feel like i don't have to defend my choosing a millie... it's the best machine out there... i probably would have said something like "i tried all of them and this one topped them all.. especially the gammill... "

Cindy, that is my response exactly. As yet, I do not have a LA, but am certainly planning to purchase an APQS machine as soon as I get the funds (in my 80's?), as the environment is so loving and supportive. THAT above all else says LOADS to me. And if I'm going to drop a boatload of moula in somebody's pocket, I'd rather it be someone I enjoy being with and not someone I don't respect. My other 1/2 cent.

I've had similar experiences, I like my machine set up to move VERY freely. I've only met one other person who likes it. I can't stand the tighter machines they seem so hard to move. I just say it suits my style of quilting and that personally I couldn't work on their machines. I also tend not to let them near the machine again.

Ferret

I started with a 'loaner machine' from my son, an older APQS and very basic. When I purchased my machine I bought it (a Nolting) because the location and the price were right. I just arranged a deal for my close friend for a Gam Classic, again because it was a sweet deal. The machines are all different to handle. My response would have been "Well, you know the machines are all basically the same and the difference in the quilting is the person with the handles in their hands and their talent. (said with a big nasty grin which I do so well when annoyed!). BTW I am an OLD lady and the age difference is no biggie. We 'older' ladies probably have more vinegar and bite than the younguns' when we want to, LOL.

Jeanette & Alice Nolting

:)I have a friend who has a Gammil and one day my DH and I were visiting, and my DH showed me that her Gammil moved a lot easier than my Milli, he said that was because the wheels on the Gammil are vertical and the wheels on the Milli are horizontal. I think having a bit of tension on the movement of the machine makes my Milli perform better smooth curves. My friend and I have compared our machines many times. She has some things I like, and I have some things she lkes. She likes her machine, and I like mine.

Pats

I have run into this sort of thing but not quite as rude as this woman. So I do admit to them that the Gammill is indeed the Cadillac of the long-arm community but I have always set my sites high so I bought the Rolls Royce model and leave it at that. ;):P

I am a newbie and went to our local quilt guild recently to tell everyone of my long arm purchase. New people were asked to stand up, and I said "I just bought a long-arm machine, a millennium and am getting the compuquilter". All I heard was a silence and the a comforting "ooohhh!" I handed out all 20 business cards in one fell swoop.

The local, well-known gammill lady introduced herself to me a few minutes later and seemed nice but there was also a definite air or vibes given off... not sure if it was from the threat of me being competition or the fact that I was a newbie and it was more of a "you don't threaten me attitude". I talked to someone else from here who said she had similar vibes when talking to this person.

All I know is, I already have 12 projects I'm working on and there seems to be plenty of work to go around! I also am learning that the "learning curve" for long arm is huge...wish I had more hours in the day...trying to realize I can't do everything in one day and I haven't even hooked up the compuquilter, yet.

I went down to Fayetteville, NC to look at Gammil's a month or so ago. The ladies from Loving Stitches were wonderful and took their time to show me a lot of things including the Statler (oops on sp) stitcher. I love that store! They have a 6 month back log. They were very concerned when one of their employees left and took a lot of business away but now they don't care. 5 Gammil's are in that area and most of them are on a 6 month back log.

Long story short, I bought the Milli sight unseen, based on many of the reasons mentioned above. I did find the Gammil's to be "clunky", oily, hard to maneuver and on the old fashion side...and I think that the APSQ video did a great job of advertising their product. Also, price was a big factor for me and APQS was less expensive. I was so close to buying a Gammil and yes, attitude can be everything! Those wonderful ladies at Loving Stitches almost had my business but I'm glad a chose a Milli!

Well, I have lots of things I COULD say that aren't very complimentary about G service and sales. A lady that owns a real nice quilt store told me just a few days ago the most shocking thing that happened to her. She is trying her best to sell her G so she can get APQS. Main reason: Service. And she had been dealing with Mr. Gammill himself!

I've never heard anything bad about Nolting or A-1. I do, however, know personally several people who changed from G to APQS. I do not know anyone that changed from APQS to G. Of course, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And I haven't heard anything bad about the G itself -- just the service.

That's all I know. I'm sure lots of ladies wouldn't think my Berninas were anything special. But that is all I know in a sewing or embroidery machine. I've heard ladies brag on other brands, and I probably would like them just as much if that is what I had started with. Like a car, as someone said.

Hugs, Joy

she really was reflecting her own in adequency as a quilter, I had a juki set up on a grace frame it brought me to tears! I hated it because I could not make it work, someone mentioned they had got the same thing, I immediatly blurted out how much I hated it and my experiences with it. Not once did I take in her feelings because I was being selfish explaining my experience and blaming the set up. when it was me who could not make it work it was not a fit with me.

I felt like such a heal afterwards because I have seen such lovely work done by others on short arms, but It was me who was not good at that machine set up, I apologized later and explained myself but I could tell it was too late so now I don't say anything but how wonderful I am sure you will do great work!

I should not have told her my experience at all.

so just remember she was talking about her own flaw as a quilter, not your baby.

Oh come on Shana!

Put on your best Shirley Temple frown, put yours hands on your hips, make a pouchy mouth, stomp your foot and say, "Well, I like THIS one!".

She'll either get over herself ...or never speak to you again.....ok, don't listen to me, do all of the above but smile when you say it! :P

post--13461898249403_thumb.jpg

Ya know what Shana, I feel you answered your own delimena when you mentioned the cars. To each his own. We all have our own preferences, styles and etc. My DH never would own a Dodge, never did, UNTIL he needed a new truck for the business. Doing the research on the best one for the job he does was the Dodge. So he is still amazed that he not only owns a Dodge he bought one brand new and had never owned a brand new vehicle.

So for us fabulous quilters, that like me had only ever heard of Gammills until we decided to do the research and found that APQS was the better choice for US personally. Can still find ourselves amazed that we own this machine. Personal preference, not by Loreal, is the key. That is another analogy, what hair color is the best. She might disagree there also.

Some you never please so always please yourself. :D

Archived