How do you respond to someone who cuts down your machine?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're all different! But, don't we all hope that we've made some smart decisions? (especially if those choices involved spending a lot of $)

Each person ultimately has his/her own personality, abilities, talents, and style. Some people drive fast sports cars painted with slow and conservative colors. Some folks decorate their traditional styled homes ecclectically or maybe with modern furnishings. Some purchase the most expensive, top of the line stuff or pay extra for the same item in a custom color just because they can afford to do so. Others shop around for a real bargain to brag about. Thrifty people buy just what they need...no extra bells and whistles. Others ...etc.

I'm both handicapped from birth and extremely left handed. I used to only purchase things that were left handed (mainly one handed) user friendly. Now they must also work for aging eyesight!:P

Being handicapped makes nasty remarks sooo naturally easy for me to respond to. Maybe non-handicappers just have a "handicap" when responding to bad mannered people.:o

I actually would try being kind...in a sort of "back at you" way.

;) I would probably say something like "Well, I'm handicapped, and really shopped around because no machine was likely to be perfect for my needs. After trying various brands and models, I bought what worked best for me...just like I'm sure that, you purchased a machine that you thought would work well for you. Aren't we both lucky to have choices? It sounds like you're pleased with your machine too."

If that person persisted on with more negative comments regarding my machine...I would HAVE TO rudely cut in with a zinger of a response. I'd probably say "Hey...you don't need to justify why you think that your machine is better than mine..unless you're questioning your own decision. If so, you really need to speak to a salesperson, not me...I just own what works best for me." Then I'd either excuse myself and walk away...or immediately change the subject (if trapped in a room). It's tough to carry on with a conversation by yourself.

Sure, I could give a mean response, but why would I want stoop to the same level of an ill-thought comment that I believe is in bad taste? ;) Besides, everyone has an opinion...some just aren't worth listening to.

Bette, I love your reponses....They are so right on....Shana if this continues, someone needs to put the monkey on her back. Why should any of us have to justify what we feel is right for us, or was right for our budgets at the time of purchases.

That's what I love so much about life, I have a choice of which road to walk. Not always do I choose the right one for the moment or the time, but I did it and at the end I was either at totally happy camper or faced the facts of Oops, I did it again....bad me. Guess we won't try that one again. Life is way to short to let someone else's opinion make that much of a difference in what we believe or think. We should all have become big enough in our own skins to have become comfortable about decisions....letting anyone belittle you by either hurting your feelings or critizing something you did, is a worst crime in my book than making a big oops in lifes choices.

:cool: Hi Shana

I would have replied something like this

:D You are not what you ought to be, (nicer)

You are not what you want to be (an APQS) :D

You are not what you hope to be (An APQS) :cool:

But still you are not what you used to be. (nice and professional):)

And by the grace of God, I am what I am :cool:

happy quilting

Hubert

Archived