Should I prewash thread?

Hi,

I need to use brick red color 100% cotton mercerized thread to attach my border. I bought Wright quilt borders from JoAnn over the weekend, and the sales lady/the package both said the tape was colorfast, so I shouldn't worry about the red color bleeding. By the grace of God, I had a hunch that it might not be true, so I soaked the red tapes over the night, and the result was shocking.... there was so much red dye coming out of the tapes that I had to rinse at least 6-7 times. And it's still bleeding a bit.

Now, I am really worried about my thread which is the same red color. What shall I do? I think I read somewhere on the internet that some quilters actually prewash their thread as well. Is this true? Should I prewash my red cotton thread before using it? If so, how can I wash a spool of new thread and dry it propery? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I don't know about the quality of Dritz thread. I don't know if this thread has a long staple. I've learned that some thread made made with a short staple break very easily (continuously) when used in a high-speed performance machine like a longarm. It might be OK to use with a DSM, but not a longarm. (just a thought). If I were you, and I were quilting with a longarm, I'd stick to the threads that have been proven to work well with longarm quilting machines.

I'm not looking at a cone of thread now (still in Louisiana) but I think it's Signature that has a code inside that tells you the colorfastness (if that's a word) of thread. I think it's rated "A", "B", "C", etc.

I did a quick search and here's a chart I found at Dallas Thread: chart

I am not at all sure how you would soak a whole cone of thread but you could pull enough off the cone, soak it in a white or clear bowl with some warm water and see what it does. When using DMC floss, I'll sometimes test it in a bowl and then squeeze it between white paper towels or white dish towels to see if it's running.

Joycesue,

Aren't you glad that you listened to that hunch about the red tape. Wouldn't that have been a mess.

I agree with the others. I have never heard of thread color running. The processing on thread is extensive; I don't think there is any chance of the color running. Dritz products are a big name for Joann's; I don't think that Joann's would stock it if it was not colorfast. I have never used Dritz, though. It might be worth a test run on a 5" or so piece of white muslin. Stitch it up with the thread and then get it wet. Better safe than sorry, huh.

Can you imagine what a mess this would make if it came off the spool while you were washing it.....I'm patient, but I don't think even I could get it back onto the spool without pitching it in the round file. I've never heard of thread bleeding...now I'm sure it can, but haven't had it personally.

Archived