About your business . .

When I'm quilting, I sometimes think too much. So, if you want to tell me to mind my own business, you can do that. But here's what I was thinking about today. You can either post an answer here or you can send me a private message or an e-mail if you want to respond.

How many of you have the business you had hoped to have with your longarm quilting business? Do you have the customers you had hoped to have? Do you have the net income you had hoped to have?

We come together here and discuss all our "quilting" topics but we haven't discussed a whole lot of "business" topics.

I don't know how I was so lucky or blessed or whatever you want to call it to have the business I've established but if there's anything I can do to help you, I'll be glad to do it. One thing that helped me is that I got into this when there were way fewer longarmers out there. Maybe some of my business practices won't work for you; maybe you'd think I'm nuts (like quilting for the local shop for free) but I'll be more than happy to share ideas and discuss what you've tried and haven't tried.

Maybe if we can get a group discussion going, it will help a few of you.

If you're happy with your business and your customers, maybe you can share some tips that might help others.

Judy,

I'm just too new at this to have any input, but I really hope your words will spark some insight from the many experienced and successful longarmers on this site that I look forward to learning more from.

And Judy, I do so appreciate your willingness to mentor all of us newbies. Thank you!

Polly

I hope that many of you are willing to share your honest thoughts on the questions Judy posed. I so want to try this, but it would be such a big investment (equipment, supplies, retrofitting or renting space, learning curve, etc., etc., etc.) that I'm afraid to really push this with my husband. I'm sure I would love it and could learn it quickly, but it would be such a big gamble and I'm not sure the money is out there.

Thanks to all of you who are willing to share.

Kathy in Maryland

I've been at this for about 8 months. I have taken every idea I can find on email lists, etc. to network and I am really just getting rolling. ie. I have more than one quilt in my studio. There are alot of longarmers around here - probably for the same reason that I am doing it - not alot of jobs around. I had the impression that I would be instantly swamped - the way everyone talked, but my Dad had told me it would take about 3 years to get full speed and I think he is right. I have worked real hard at getting the word out there and it is finally starting to pay-off. I have to say that I have definitely had to stepbox out of my comfort zone to do this, so it has been a good thing, in terms of personal growth. And as an aside, I have met alot of wonderful people! :) The toughest part though - for me, after working an 8-5 for 28 years - has been the discipline it requires to work in the home. On the other side of the coin - it seems that I am always working! I want to get more disciplined with my time so I can "be off work" and do some of my other loves - like genealogy.

Judy,

My husband just asked me the same question when we were delivering a finished quilt to his sister-in-law on Sunday afternoon. Considering I work at a chiropractor's office 5 and 1/2 days per week I am really busier than I expected to be after only 15 months with my machine. I only run a small ad in the local paper and have my card displayed where I work, I also had a sewing shop 12-13 years ago in town. Town being 400+ people. We are about 30 minutes away from Springfield, Missouri. I currently have 4 client quilts at my house; 2 on my waiting list- one lady has 2 tops and the other has eleven that she will be bringing 2 or 3 at a time. There aren't any "longarmers" nearby that work for other people just one that does church quilts and a couple of ladies with short arms that are about to give it up (age related reasons, 80+). I may soon have a day or two off work and will be able to increase my quilting time and hopefully to double or triple my income.

Judy,

You have posed an interesting topic here! I bought my first machine, an Ult 1, about 5 1/2 years ago. I mostly used it for doing charity quilts and personal quilts and favors for friends. It mostly sat there. I was never thrilled by the way it moved on the carriage. I traded it for a Liberty at Innov. in 2003. I really love the Liberty. I moved from NM to ID in mid 2004 and have arranged my life to suit a quilting business. I am just beginning to get the word out that I'm taking customers. If I don't get the customer traffic I want, I will begin renting out time on my machine. I think that will bring me more quilting customers as well! I am excited to get a business going!

Teri

Teri: Please be sure you have insurance coverage for renting your machine. Your regular homeowner's insurance is NOT going to cover personal injuries (which should NOT occur but you never know) nor will they cover your machine.

This is a good time to remind everyone that if you are using your machine for business, it is not covered under your homeowner's policy. Some policies will cover a nominal amount .. maybe $2,500 but nowhere near enough to cover the replacement cost of your machine and supplies.

Don't hope you're covered . . make sure! And, if your agent says you are, get it in writing and be very sure he states that your machine is used for a business and it is covered for full replacement value, and you are covered for any liability which customers might claim.

I'm not an attorney; this is not legal advice . . blah, blah ..

I've received several e-mails so thanks to those of you who posted here and sent me e-mail. At least I know you're interested in this subject.

Time Management seems to be a big issue so I'll start there.

First thing you should know is that I am the MOST unorganized person in the world!

When I first began quilting, someone told me to make a commitment to start quilting at a certain time of day and commit to quilting for a set amount of time. That was one of the best pieces of advice I ever received.

I made the commitment to start quilting at a certain time and quilt for one hour (or whatever -- can't remember now) and once I got started, I didn't want to stop. I think had I not done this, my machine would still be sitting there rarely used.

Now, I keep myself on a tight schedule and am pretty rigid.

If I stay on schedule with my customer quilts, I take off on Fridays. Today I went to the quilt shop in Indiana to take quilts and pick up more, ate lunch with the shop owner, bought a ton of fabric and haven't accomplished much else. But, I stayed on schedule this week so Friday is my day to do as I want.

I never schedule quilts for the weekends. I work on my own tops (piecing or quilting).

Don't feel bad if you aren't able to stay on a strict schedule. Figure out what works for you.

We all have the same 24 hours in our day. Some of you have jobs outside the home; some of you have more than one child.

If you feel you are needing more time to quilt, I would suggest you make a list of all the things you HAVE to do in your day. If there are things you can cut out or cut back on, do it. You might even make a list of all the things as you do them for a couple of days and then analyze where your time has gone. My friends know I do not have time to hang on the phone. When they call now, they'll say "I'll only keep you a minute" and I say "Good because that's all the time I have!"

For me, family always comes first. But that doesn't mean I'm a slave to my family. We all work together . . which is easier with a 17 year old than with a house full of little ones.

Find what works for you, make a plan, put it in writing and stick with it!

Well Judy, you can't be the most disorganized person around 'cause I think I have that title ALREADY!!!

I have 4 daughters, all out on their own, however I do get the calls-could you babysit? could you go to the store cause some one is sick? could you pick up someone at school? could you take someone to work? could you help me paint? etc.............

I don't mind helping any of them out, but it does interrupt the day. My other BIG interruption is going to get the mail, paper, groceries, etc. for my 93 yr. old mother. Thankfully she is still able to live on her own, but I usually have to go there 5-6 times a week. Ususally takes about an hour to two each day. It's a good break for me and I am very grateful that she is still with us. The problem is mine--getting back into the swing of quilting.

I work at LQS only occassionally-1-2 days a month, so that really is a break for me and I get 90% of my business there. It never hurts to be there and answer questions.

I usually quilt about 3 hrs. in the am and then again 3 hrs in afternoon. I will quilt again 3-5 hrs. in the evening, depending on what the day has been like. Since I am alone, I eat and sleep when I please.

I have had my machine since Dec. 2000, so I am working in my 5th year, and have been busy since I set the machine up. I started customer quilts after 2 mos. and have been booked six months out as a norm. I usually have anywhere from 30 - 50 quilts on my list. If I get 3 done, I might take 2-4 names in the same time frame. So......it seems like I am always behind. Granted, I did get way behind in 2003, because of cancer treatments but I have most of those people caught up. I offered the quilts back, but most people said no, and do them as you can while taking others after treatment.

My biggest problem I think is scheduling. I am now trying to only schedule 2 - 3 custom/heirloom jobs per month and the rest be pantos. Problem is that most of the quilts are custom. My daughter always tells me to never give a completion date, just say it will be as soon as possible but I am booked 6 mos. out. etc. Also, spending time on the computer take a bit of time, but I have learned soooooo much from this list and several others, so I continue to spend time here too.

Now, as I said before, about 90% of my business comes thru the LQS, so I have paid for advertising in a couple of quilt guilds, etc. but not a lot. I do have my business card and brochure in the LQS. The brochure does help to weed people out as they can figure out an approximate cost for quilting and if it's too high, they don't call me. I have 4 price levels, Basic and Advanced allover, custom, and heirloom. I also have additional charges, seaming backing, squaring up, pressing, etc. and I also charge for thread on a per bobbin basis. That way the person that has the most amount of quilting also pays the most amount in thread charages.

I think the biggest investment, other than machine and supplies, is the classes at MQS or other shows. I have attended MQS since 2001 and have always taken an overload of classes. I figured I should learn as much as possible while there. Now MQS is in my "backyard" sort of and I intend to be there for a week including the volunteering time. I am about 65 miles out so I am staying at the Convention Hotel, and not driving that city traffic each day. I have also taken seperate classes with Marilyn Badger and Linda Taylor and felt that both were worth every penny. The national teachers are doing even more traveling than ever, so if they are in your "neck of the woods" make an effort to attend the class.

My other "words of wisdom" if you can call it that is join a longarm group in you area. If there is not one, start one. I am a member of Mo-Kan Machine Quilt Guild and we are a group of longarm, shortarm, and other machine quilters. We have been officially organized since June 2003, but we spent almost 8 months before that getting "official". It is 147 miles round trip for me, but I try not to miss a meeting. I learn something at every meeting. I think that the day, once a month is an investment in my business. We have had Dawn Cavanaugh as a speaker with workshops, Linda Taylor and Cheri Meinkea-Johnson just did a lecture and workshop yesterday, and we have Karen McTavish scheduled for August. Now tell me, I won't learn from them!!!

So, Judy, get me organized with the schedule, and teach me to quilt custom work faster and make beautiful feathers just like you.

I just got my Liberty in December so I haven't been in this long enough to see where it is going yet.

But I do think you have to do alot of realistic thinking about this before going into it.

If you bought a machine 5+ years ago, there weren't many around & you were pretty well guarenteed customers. And the same applies today IF you live in certain area's. And that is one of the first things a person needs to look at.

When you go to a seminar, you get all excited about how many quilts they tell you they do & how much money they make. And maybe you can too. BUT, that is them. And every situation is different. You need to evaluate your own & go from there.

Where I live, there are 2 quilt shops within 20 minutes of me and the town they are in isn't what I would call a really large town. The newest shop purchased a Millenium last year. The more established shop has 3 Noltings & have a well established client base. So there is no quilt shop that I can get in with.

At our Quilt Quild meeting last fall they asked how many people had long-arm machines & I couldn't believe how many hands went up.

Put that together with the fact that we live 20 minutes from town in a section of Ohio that is hilly, with curvy roads & you can see that I don't expect customers to beat a path to my door!

I wanted the machine for myself. At the same time, it does need to pay for itself. And if I can do enough quilts to break even, I will be more than satisfied. Needless to say, if I have under estimated things & I actually make money at this I will be ecstatic! :D

Joe Ann, yes, everyone must research their own area. When I ordered my machine in Oct. 2000, I knew of 3 people within 30 miles of me. One had a hanging frame with stationary machine, the other two had longarms.

By the time my machine came, there was another longarmer in same town also. Since then, one has gone out of business, and another quilt shop opened 5 minutes away with a longarm and there have been several more people within the 30 miles with longarm machines. Each area is different.

If I completed more quilts per month, my waiting time would be shorter, but with the other things in life, I complete anywhere from 5 - 12 per month. Usually it is around 8 or 10. Some months are just tooooooo short!

Of course it also depends on the type of quilting. I did 15 quilts in December, but they were almost all pantos, so it did go faster.

The best advice is to know your area, know your customers and if you don't, know where you're going to advertise to get your customers. :)

:D:)

Carol: Remember that you only see pictures of my feathers. If you were seeing them up close and personal, I'm betting yours would look just as good or better than mine.

Sounds like you have a full schedule and you're accomplish a ton of quilting along with your personal load. I have no family but I know what a chunk of time it takes to be "on call" for other family members and to have an elderly parent to care for. There's way more to life than quilting and there are many days I'd give up quilting to have family close by.

After reading all you accomplish, I can tell you if I had those things to do, I'd never get anything else done. When something interferes with my schedule, I really get off track.

As far as a longarm group, there isn't one near me as far as I know. There are quite a few new longarmers and I wouldn't mind joining a group but I'm not about to take the time to start one. And, I haven't been to MQS or MQX yet. One of these days I am going to go to one of those and I'm going to take some classes!!

Hey Judy!

Well let's see...I could be doing more, and honestly wish I was! Maybe the small ad in the paper, etc. would work. I have not pursued all the outlets that I had hoped to. The guilds and local quilt shops seem to be very willing to ask ME for stuff, but they are really not helping in my promotion. The responses are "we have lots of machine quilters in the guild already", and though I was one of the first LAQ to contact a new shop, she will tell people to call other quilters when I am standing IN THE STORE IN FRONT OF HER.

The cards and brochures fly out the door, but no calls, so I'm sure my competition is picking up my promo materials.

No matter, I'm in this for the long haul, and I am a survivor. I am spending time honing my skills, and will sell the quilts that I personally finish to support my business as needed (that was part of the business plan).

Yes, my competition is the locals (LAQs and the LQS that decided they are buying/renting time on their machines...more than 1/2 the shops in my area have started doing that. We will see...it's not as easy as people think it is. We work at what we do...

Cynthia

Joe Ann: You're right about researching your area. I am surprised all the time to hear about a new longarmer in our area. I don't have a clue how many longarmers are in my area. I'm not in the local quilt guild any more so I don't hear about all the new machines but I can think of at least 10 that have been purchased in the last year! The closest quilt shop to me is 40 miles away but we have Hancock's and Hobby Lobby here.

Guest Linda S

I don't have as much business as I had imagined at this time, but it is entirely my own fault. I have not been out taking my cards and brochures to the quilts shops, nor have I got my samples ready to take with them. We had a bit of a family tragedy just before Christmas and it really knocked the wind out of my sails. I'm just beginning to pick myself up again, so I'm hoping that I can raise some money to help me pay for MQX! At least I still have my day job, but the idea is to eventually transition out of that! I'll get there. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Linda

Great topic Judy! Thank you for leading this wonderful exchange of ideas.

I have been in the business for 1-1/2 years and it has given me the quality of life that I was seeking. I don't make much money compared to my prior life in corporate America but I am much happier and healthier. This change has required that I downsize considerably in the spending department but I also don't need business suits, business lunches, fancy cars or vacations at a spa to unwind. My new life is better than I imagined.

As my quilting skills improve I am able to charge more for custom work and I schedule my own practice time on a regular basis. I teach at the LQS and my students know they can call me anytime with quilting questions, even if not class related. I return the calls during the evenings and always offer lots of encouragement.

Clients can leave their quilts at the LQS store or bring them to my home by appointment. In an effort to avoid stress, I don't schedule my clients out more than a month and I don't quilt every day. Since I'm not the best quilter in town (yet! LOL) I have found my niche as the quilter who can get it done quickly if needed. Even my regular clients don't mind if I put them back a day or two if an "emergency" job comes my way. We have had many good laughs over what constitutes a quilting emergency. In fact, I scheduled no quilts in December, which forced my regular clients to get theirs done early, and had my busiest month ever. I made lots of last minute quilters happy this past Christmas and many of them are now my regular clients. The good LORD has truly blessed me and I love all of the wonderful quilters I have met. When people know you feel this way and if you always give a little more than expected, building your business won't be a problem.

Best wishes to all of you. I hope you find your quilting dream.

Jean: Your post is very encouraging. I've received quite a few e-mails from some newbies and some who have been at this for a while.

Sounds like you're finding a spot in your longarm community that works great for you and you're doing good with your scheduling.

I think finding a schedule that works for you and your family, as well as attracting the clients to fulfill the business plan we anticipated is often more difficult than learning to use the machine and develop the expertise needed to be a great quilter.

Business for me is busy right now, but goes in spurts. Just for fun (:() I decided to count how many quilt finishers are in my area (radius of 35 miles). I stopped at 33, and just found another one so its 34. Of these 33 in the metro Indianapolis area there are seven who will finish quilt tops for around $35 located less than 15 miles from me. Price wise I probably will not be able to increase--and the backbone of my business is E2E pantos at a penny a square inch. I am quick, though, so have a pretty fast turnover. Very little of what I do here is custom so I do that on my own quilts and that of some of my good customers. There are some excellent quilters in this area and I don't expect to get their clients. I also don't do high-end heirloom or "artistic interpretation" of quilting.

My customers are mostly repeats, and I usually get a new one each month. I am 'making money' on paper because I don't buy everything! But its not a salary like it was when I was in the business world. I don't need fancy shoes or clothes any more, and visits to the nail salon are a thing of the past. I am home though when my children get home from school and the quilting covers the extras like travel soccer, vacations to FL and ballet. I also can contribute to the grocery budget and pay for my own expenses like hair appointments and artwork that I like to collect.

Quilting here will probably never, ever pay the bills. There are just too many machines. Thankfully I have no debt associated with my business and I'm OK with it. The flexibility and lack of stress make it all worthwhile.

Wow, am I glad that you asked this question. I am not happy about my business. I need more suggestions on how to drum up business.

We bought my machine about a year ago, financing the machine through a bank. At the seminar they said that it was possible to pay off the machine in one year. So far my machine is no where near being paid for. I too was led to believe that I would have tons of business, so far no one is knocking down my door. I have about 10 quilts hanging in my studio but that is because I ran a 50% off discount to get my business started, and to give me more experience. I just got a quilt in a couple of weeks ago that I am charging full price for, however, it is a baby quilt....not much money.

My husband is totally stressed about this machine. He made the decision to purchase my Millie based on the information we heard at the APQS seminar. However, there have not been any customer calls in several weeks.

The ideas I have tried are all things that I have read here on this web site or in books. Some things I have tried are charging a discounted price, hanging a sample in a local quilt store, putting my business cards in any fabric store or quilt store that will allow, entering my name in a directory offered by my machine quilter's guild, and posting my ad in my quilt guild newsletter.

If I had known a year ago what I know now, I would not have purchased my machine.:(

Mary Beth: It is very possible to earn enough in one year to pay off a machine! Can everyone do it? No! Is it easy to do? NO! In my opinion, the job of APQS is to tell us what is possible and then we have to do our own homework. The information presented at the APQS seminars should be used only as one tool (I suppose . . I've never been to their seminar). There are some very important considerations for all who are considering buying a longarm. As always, I'm no expert but here are my opinions:

1. How many longarmers are in your area? It may be difficult to find out an accurate number but if you're willing to spend $20,000 on a machine and startup supplies, it is worth your effort to dig and get a realistic number. If I were to think about buying a longarm machine right now, based on the number of quilters in my area, I would not do it!

2. How long is the waiting list for the local longarmers? My guess is that if the waiting lists are less than 6 months, your area has enough longarmers.

3. What are the rates being charged by the local longarmers? Compare their rates to what some of us are charging or share the rates here and get opinions.

4. Do you have a relationship with the local quilt shop? Have you been a loyal customer for as long as you've been quilting? If you've been buying fabric from JoAnn's or Hancock's (and I'm not putting that down), then don't be surprised if your local quilt shop refers quilting business to people who have been loyal customers to her for years.

Mary Beth, don't give up! There's business out there. You may just have to work a little harder than expected to get it but once you establish yourself, and get your foot in the door with some of the local piecers, you should do fine.

You mention you've tried the things we've talked about and I can't remember what all has been mentioned here previously. Have you tried doing some really eye catching on your own quilt and entering it in local shows? Have you offered to teach quilting classes at your local shop or fabric stores? Have you gotten involved with doing some donation quilting for local charity projects? If you're in your local guild, have something for show & tell EVERY meeting! You can do it!!

I am just starting my 4th year of business. I was a bit slow in May last year--8 quilts. I am very involved in local guilds, quilt shows, quilt shops. I try to help out with everything--takes time away from quilting but you sure get your name known as well as your work & face. I do allot of show & tell as well.

There are 24 plus quilter's in 30 miles I'm sure. Mostly we all bought our machines within a short time of each other--WERID!!! I think we were all bitten by the quilting bug! None of us had a clue we were about to be overrun with other longarmer's!

The quilter's who are involved--like I am--we are busy! We might not be the best quilter's-however the best heard of quilter's! I like to quilt 20 quilts a month--cannot do if many are custom--that really cuts into the number thing!

I bought my machine because I thought I'd turn it into a business "some day". It ended up a blessing after 4 months later--oh those first 2 years I really had to get out there and push my quilting--it finally is paying off!

However I paid the machine off before quitting my regular job and all extra bills! Hubby was able to handle the others--but times were tight even so!

1 quilter is a true artist--she is as busy as she wishes--and her price is up there but I cannot compete with her either! I'm just happy for her!

I don't complete with other longarmers in the area and thus have many friends in the same business I am in. I think it is neat to see each of our different styles evolve.

I do try to befriend all the local & then some quilt shops! I might quilt a quilt for free if it will be hung in the shop and I get the credit for it! (one per year!)

I get much business this way! Really much business this way!!! I let them know I want to help them by quilting something current they would like dispalyed--they win--I win even more!!!

I think each person has to find a way to make this work in every different area & situation. My quick turn around time at first people questioned it with maybe I did poor workmanship--then they heard I'd really put the hours in to get that turn around time & saw the results!

I never put a badly stitched quilt out there--I'd rip it out first--that's my reputation with each quilt going out the door!

I never get upset with a customer--Thank-goodness I was blessed with patience--sometimes it is trying! Sometimes you can't wait to hang up the phone so you can LOL!!

If you can really win your customers over--that will really be better than anything you can do! My loyal customers go out & over & then some!

Can I do your business cards--please? YES! For FREE? I will be doing her next quilt free of charge! Hope that labor exchange is legal in Kansas!

I exchange taxes & bookkeeping for quilting or for housekeeping with my sis!

I quilt joint gifts with another sis--she makes the top & I quilt & provide batting & thread--huge family--8 siblings--28 plus nieces & nephews.

There are lots of ways to make a business work! It mostly is never a hand out and takes more work than a 9-5 job to get the business going & running.

Always remember --when listening to and about job opportunity--they mostly only tell the best case--esp. for the small businesses--and rarely they are as sweet!

My prices are higher than a few and lower than many. My customers do not even for a minute think I undercharge! (sometimes! it happens!) They just assume the rest overcharge--and at times they do but then again at times they lose!

So a whole new can of worms to figure out in my local area!

It will always be a go figure thing!

Susan

If you are not satisfied with the growth of your business there are some really hard questions that you might need to ask:

If your area has many LA quilters then what do you bring to the mix that would make clients pick you over the others?

How does the quality of your quilting compare to others?

How do your prices compare to others and to your skill level?

How active are you in your local quilting arena compared to the others?

How visible are you (and your work) to your potential client base?

Are you an outgoing, happy person who loves to meet other quilters? :D

Is your quilting studio/home clean and free from smoke? Is it an inviting place for clients?

Be honest with yourself and then compare your answers to those of the most successful quilters in your area. You might need to make some changes to your business plan. This business isn't for everyone but you need to find your niche if you are going to succeed.

I hope this helps some of you. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Hi all,

Wow what a wealth of information. I go my Millie in mid January and financed it through a local womens group. I'm having my open house this sunday and have about 20 people attending. I hope at that point that I will start to get bookings. I will also be attending MQS this year in May and am signed up for 11 classes as well as volunteering. I'll keep you posted as to how thing turn out.

PS Thank you for all the great advice and encouragement.

The Quilt Lady

Tinc C

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I did not mean to say that APQS mislead us in any way....you all said be honest and I said what I am honestly feeling right now. I do have a very good relationship with 2 of the closest quilt stores in my area. I probably need to step back and see what the next tactic is that I can try. I love quilting, I really want this business to succeed, and I am hppy to have this web site to go to when I need ideas. I am really glad that you put this subject out there. Looks like I am the only one feeling like I am going up hill at the moment. I'll just sit back and read the suggestions and try a few along the way. Thanks again, and keep 'em coming!!;)

Archived