Scheduling

Several of you asked about scheduling. For those of you who have a good scheduling plan, please share it.

Here's what works for me. I do not ever overbook. I use a Excel spreadsheet for scheduling. I've tried several other plans and this one works best for me.

I schedule 10 quilts per month and save 5 spots for the local quilt shop. I don't ask if the quilts are custom or panto but it seems to always work out that I have 3 or 4 custom quilts per month and the rest are panto or meander which works great. If I end up with 15 quilts per month, that's 4 per week and once they are all here, I divide them up into a workable number. I don't try to do all four of the customs the same week. If I have 3 meanders or custom, I can usually get those done in 2 days and that leave 2 days for the custom and that's my week. Hopefully I get those done in four days and I have Fridays for myself.

If it happens that I get more than 3 or 4 custom quilts, I can work on Friday and I can work on weekends but that's not what I want to do.

Figure out what works for you. Some people schedule more than I do, some schedule less.

For me, there's a lot of self-satisfaction in making a plan and sticking with it. When someone calls and wants a quilt done NOW and I don't have a spot for it, I say no. It isn't fair to customers who have been waiting for months to get their quilt done and it isn't fair to me to have to give up time I had planned to spend doing something else. In the beginning, it is hard to say no to someone, knowing it is a potential customer and she will probably take her quilt to someone else to be quilted. But, for the first few years, I said yes to everyone. I was getting no sleep, no time for my own sewing and I wasn't having fun!

I'll be glad to send my little scheduling spreadsheet to anyone who wants it.

• 4 weeks later...

Judy,

I would also like to see your schedule. I want to be as organized and efficient as I possibly can. Also, I am getting ready to quit my full time job and jump into quilting full time. I know how I can be, start one thing, my mind wanders and before I know it I am off in another direction - I think the old timers call that "chasing rabbits". Anyway, I would like to see how your schedule is made up.

Thanks for offering, I really appreciate the help you extend to all of us.

Mary Beth

FYI

Within the last couple of weeks, Judy informed us that in order to obtain her new quilting goals, she needed to spend less time on the computer. But she did say that if you needed her, you can email her. I'm sure she will send you a copy of her schedule. Contact her at Judy@SunshineQuilts.com

Donna

I think I've sent out all the schedule forms to everyone who asked. If I missed anyone, please send me an e-mail (Judy@SunshineQuilts.com) and I'll get it to you. There's really not much to it. I've added more info to the one I use so you can customize the form as you see fit.

Archived