Sign in to follow this  
joycesue

S.O.S.!!! A bleach mark on my red quilt!!!

Hello, I need some help, quick!

There was an accident and a tiny drop of bleach fell on my newly constucted quilt after it was washed and now, there is about a quarter size bleach mark on my brick red fabric! What shall I do? Should I add an iron-on applique patch or something to cover it? Anybody any idea???

Please help me~

Yes you could add an applique over the spot. It might show up quite a bit due to the extra layers of fabric. Depending on the quilt you could make the applique into a design element. Then put several of these around the quilt to tie it together. You could also get one of the pigment permanent pens in red. Test the color on scrap piece of fabric which you have dropped bleach on to see if it will match. I have used the pigment pens on small spots not sure how it will turn out on a quarter sized area.

Hope things work out for you.

9BADBFA8766603544769327374FB39CF.png

Sonja Hammond

Quilting by the Animas

If you can't do what Mary Beth has suggested, there is a product out there that is called...007 Bonding crystals.

You can make a perfect iron patch with this stuff and just like the hand appliqued suggestion you won't know where its at.

Good Luck...I hate when I do this....

Bonnie Botts

APQS Sales Rep - Certified Service Technician

APQS Millennium 2006---MJ

APQS Millennium 2004---Lucy

405-533-1025 home

518-935-3832 cell

"Absolute rules are about as useless in making quilts as they are in raising children" Carter Houck---1992

joycesue-

Ouch! I feel for you.

Trying to seamlessly patch over the goof is probably the best solution if you can do it.

If you aren't confident that it'll look "like new" (assuming that is your preference) then I'd cover the bleached area with a patch that's actually an embellishment ~ an obvious on-purpose could be fun! ;)

Thanks for sharing...There is sew much to learn!

Bette Slag

Elk River, Mn

Hi, just a thought. They make indelable pens in all colors now. I bet you could get a red one and it would work just fine. You mught have to do it two times to get the darkness of red but once it is in it won't come out.

Nora,

Millenium

Nora Alquraisha

Columbia Gorge Quilting

Quilting with my new HQ Fusion"Baby"

Washougal WA

www.columbiagorgequilting.com

I made my son a camo quilt for Christmas several years ago. He shared a house with a couple of guys one of which had a new puppy. The dog had an accident on the quilt on Matthew's bed. Matthew grabbed a bottle of what he thought was regular 409 which I often use to pretreat laundry. But this stuff had bleach in it. He called me asking how to get bleach spots out.

This quilt was constructed with large camo print blocks with tan and brown mitered frames around the blocks. Luckily most of the bleach was in one of the tan frames. Unluckily I could not find a dye, marker or pen of any kind that was the right color. I did have scraps of the tan fabric though. Finally I cut another tan piece the same size and shape and sewed it on top of the bleached piece. You have to know it's there or really look close the see it. :P

Maybe if the construction of your quilt will allow, this fix will work for you. Or maybe your red will be easier to match than the tan, and you can use a marker of some sort. I sure wish you all the luck in repairing it. I know the sick feeling you get when this happens. :( Good luck. :)

Janet

Hi, there are the fabric markers, colored pencils, and fabric paints that you can use to match the fabric. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work to your liking you always add the applique.

Chantal Anderson

Living Quilts

Chantal Anderson

On Sewing with Nancy I saw a segment in which her and the guest used fabric markers purposely on picture quilts to add colors, shade, add veins on leaves etc. I know that there are lots of fabric markers in lots of different colors. You could try this first, then maybe you might deside to do an applique over this.

Cher

I would suggest creating a patch of your own. Maybe even make it a signature, depending of course of where the mark is.

I mean something like a quilt label, perhaps.

Something that is meant to be there, so it doesn't look like a boo boo...

I hope that helps.

I recently used a red pigma pen and then an indelible marker and then a red dry erase marker ( we all know how hard that is to get out!), to cover up a peicing error on the back of a hand peiced, hand quilted lap quilt I'd done. It was a GFG. I was running low on backing and had to peice it in order to have enough. I'd left the selvages on thinking I would cut them off before flipping the back to the front to bind it. Would not have been a problem if I'd done what I was planning! When I peiced the back I turned the selvages the wrong way and they ended up on the inside seams. :o Didn't even see it until I'd done the binding and all finished. Once the required headbanging was completed and since it was just for me I layered on the different colors until it matched, then heat set them with a hot iron, and then washed it for the first time, set everything with vinegar in the water and it turned out great! I need to wash it again to see if it's going to come out, but I can alway touch it up again if it bothers me. I told you I hate peicing! :D

7CB1BF7B399CF481C4AED78FE8002A31.png

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"