Evil Sister

laststitchstudio

I made quilts for my SIL and Aunt-IL (just a couple of years older than me) for Christmas knowing they wouldn\'t really appreciate them but I would rather enjoy myself making them quilts than have to shop for Christmas gifts for them. According to my husband who talked to the group on Christmas day (we live out of state) they liked their quilts. That\'s the last I\'ve heard about it.

On the other hand, I stole a kit from my friend\'s sewing room (queen sized trip around the world), made it and gave it to her for her 50th birthday. She\'s so appreciative, she\'d take a bullet for me.

Sometimes, I do it for myself, sometimes I do it for the other person.

Donna

Man o man. My ex husband just died in January and he was a raging alcoholic, age 55. His brother had died in 2001 age early 50\'s (also a raging alkie) and their FATHER died around 1997, another alcohol addict, age 76. The mother just died in October (NOT an alcoholic, but a serious enabler) at age 86. THe only one left is the sister and she doesn\'t drink, gee I wonder why...

The upshot of all this is that my 16 year old son has no family on his father\'s side except his aunt thanks to alcohol. I\'m sorry, I don\'t believe alcoholism is a disease, but I do believe wholeheartedly that addictive behaviors are hereditary. Thank GOD I got my son out at age 2, but the wonderful state of CA insisted that he still visit every other weekend. I have made it my mission in life to educate my son to the dangers of addiction and he is well aware of his vulnerability in that area because of the family history. He saw enough to realize the dangers. It has taken me a very long time to get past my trauma of living with him, even for the short time I did which was only 2 years. I can\'t imagine a whole life like that. What a nightmare.

Robin in Vista, CA

So glad to here that I am not alone! I made my daughter a beautiful baby quilt for her baby. I drove a 3 hour round trip to get just the right fabric, and another4 hours back on forth to get it quilted ( my pre Millie days) besides the time and whatnot to make it. When she recieved it she gave it back to me because it wasn\'t in 30\'s fabrics and she only likes baby quilts in 30\'s fabrics. Really! I have it at my house and her daughter, who is three now , loves it and that is her quilt when she comes to Nana\'s house. We never know what dragons others are fighting...sure wouldn\'t want to trade places.

Robin, with all due respect, I disagree with you. My son is 17, and in his fifth rehab program because of alcohol. The current program he is in is a lock-down and is six months long. He gets out in mid-July. He almost died twice, in less than a three week time span, due to alcohol poisoning. Alcohol is a disease that there is no cure for. An alcoholic will need to learn to make life changes and deal with this problem for the rest of his/her life in order to survive.

And now getting back to the original topic of this post... I say don\'t do anything for the evil sister. A sister like that does not deserve the time and energy it takes to create a beautiful quilt. Life is too short to waste on certain people, family or not.

Aren\'t families amazing. I spent a lot of time and money to make my son-in-law a KC Chiefs quilt for Christmas. Printed fleece back quilted with footballs...king size no less. Then in January I learn he\'s been abusing my daughter for most of their relationship. Yes this is the family that received one of the beautiful baby quilts from all of you special people.

My husband and I spent a lot of time and money getting her out of the situation and set up in her own apartment. Of course he (SIL) had already stolen the baby from the sitters at the first opportunity and she hadn\'t seen the baby for 3 weeks...then she went right back to him and has completely turned her back on all of her own family.

Now tell me just how can your own child, who up till now has always been sweet and loving and giving, be so cold and cruel and heartless. We are totally clueless as to what happened.

Archived