Little Tips for Newbies

I remember when I started quilting on a longarm there were so many little things that stumped me. I usually found (and still do find) the answers here. So I thought it might be nice for all of us veterans to contribute little tips. The thing is, even vets can learn new things.

So here is mine.

Are your curves looking square? When that happens to me, I always look at the wheels. All it takes is one thread wrapped around one wheel to keep the machine from making a smooth curve. It's always the right front table wheel for me. This is what to look for. I usually have to use tweezers to unwind it the thread out of there.

wheel1.jpg

All I saw was a tiny piece of thread sticking out. This is what was wound around the axle.

wheel-thread.jpg

I can't wait to hear the other tips from you all. What's your favorite marking tool and why? What removes pencil marks?

Hi Linda,

Regarding removing pencil marks...I just bought a pencil from my LQS and on it reads " Ultimate Marking Pencil for Quilter's & Crafters, Always Sharp - Washes Out." It's a mechanical pencil and I bought a package of lead refills for it. I also bought a product, conveniently sold next to the pencils, called"Marking Pencil Removal." It is by Quilter's Rule Int'l. Their web site is www.quiltersrule.com. It comes in a 8 ounce pump spray plastic bottle. The directions say to spray it on (of course, always test first they remind us), wait 15 secords for penetration, then wipe off with a clean damp cloth. Repeat if necessary.

I only used it once, but it seemed to work for me.

Sandy

Linda,

Thanks so much for the idea of tips for us beginners. I have already encountered just what you are talking about on several occasions. I didn't at first know to look for them, but discovered the threads when doing maintenance -- brushing the wheels.

And on my last quilt I had another problem with a loose thread. When I went to change the bobbin, I spotted a thread hanging down BEHIND the bobbin case. It was wrapped around and around the arm that spins the bobbin. That was hard to get off. I had to slide the throat plate to the side to reach down behind the bobbin and using tweezer, unwrap around and around.

THEN, once I changed to a new bobbin, I didn't notice the tension for awhile. Well, removing that wrapped thread definitely had affected the bobbin tension. Now it was so loose all the thread was on top. So I had to remove a lot of stitches.

I am now VERY careful with cut threads. I pick them up and put them in the trash for fear they will get in my wheels or the bobbin area.

Thanks again for sharing your tip. I'm looking forward to other contributions as well.

Here is one I discovered just this morning. I have been having bobbin problems and I couldn't figure out why. I am in the process of changing to a new quilt so I thought I would inspect my bobbin a little closer. There was a tiny piece of white something sticking out where the thread runs under that little do-hicky on the bobbin case. Even with proding with my tweezer I couldn't get it, so I loosened the little screw that adjusts the bobbin tension and there was a huge wad of lint or something. I think my bobbin is going to work much better now :)

Here's a tip. I don't know if others do this or not.

But because I hate to hand sew, I use masking tape on the side edges of my quilt top -- instead of hand basting or pinning or machine basting. It's just quick and simple.

Then if I sew over the edge, not a problem. The hopping foot goes off and comes back with ease. It's especially helpful when doing pantos or using the Circle Lord giant templates.

Those are some really good tips! I was using my Millie the other day and it sounded really funky and there in the bobbin area was some thread all tangled up. I removed it and we are running smooth again!

Yes I had a Liberty but my husband thought I needed more quilting space so he insisted I get a Millie. Who am I to argue right! ;)

Yep, husband are usually right :P

Here is another one...

I am quilting one right now that is a light background and light colored thead. Sometimes you can turn your light off in the room and just use the lamp on the machine to quilt by...makes it easier to see where you have been and where you should be going ;)

Hi Georgene

What a terrific idea is that!!! Now, tell me is it just ole regular masking tape, or that Blue Painters tape? Sometimes masking tape leaves a residue---unless it's Scotch 3M---but, blue painters tape leaves none...Can't wait to load another quilt and try this tip! Thank you!

---and Linda, thank you sew-much for starting this Topic! :)

Be sure to test all marking products for easy removal before you mark the whole top. Blue water soluble pens sometimes are hard to remove from reds and pinks. And Miracle Chalk is happier on pre-washed fabric and not happy on unwashed fabric.

In a newbie class I took, it was recommended to mark with cheap regular school chalk--this stuff (Rose's Chalk) has no binders or oil and it flies off as you quilt. More care must be taken to clean the bobbin area as this chalk goes everywhere, but it works great. I don't use it for stencils but it is great to mark spines or if you need to mark off two or three inch increments in sashings for freehand motifs.

Hope you get more hints. This is a great subject!

Linda Rech

As for what type of tape. I've used both the regular masking tape and the blue and green painters tape. Both work, and since it's on the very edges of the quilt I usually end up cutting much of that off anyway. I haven't noticed a residue on the regular masking tape.

Sometimes I put a line of tape down the edge from top to bottom of what's showing of the quilt between the rollers, then if I have a lot of excess batting on the sides and te tap is not touching the backing, I will tape from the sides to the backing, sort of a "T" shape, to make it tauter.

I also use the tape when I get to the bottom or last of a panto and need to unpin the bottom of the quilt top and sew off the quilt.

I currently have 2 bobbin cases. And I have just ordered 3 more. Reason:

I will have each one adjusted for different types of thread:

1. Prewound Poly (paper bobbin)

2. Prewound Cotton (paper bobbin)

3. Self wound Poly (aluminum bobbin)

4. Self wound Cotton (aluminum bobbin)

5. Miscellaneous -- to be used for mono, or other decorative threads not mentioned above.

During my few quilting ventures so far, it's been great to pick up the bobbin case that is already adjusted for prewound poly or the second one that's for self wound poly. No adjustments were necessary. I could start quilting right away with maybe a few minor tweaks to upper tension.

However, the one time I tried using a self wound cotton on a metal bobbin, it took forever to get the tension right, which is when I decided I wanted more bobbin cases. And they only cost $9.95 each. And I understand they have lowered the cost of the alum. bobbins to .50 each (instead of $1.00). So I also ordered more alum. bobbins and will use only the aluminum -- to minimize variations and hopefully stabilize the tension.

I plan to code my 5 bobbin cases with little dots of red nail polish.

Now see...this is exactly the type of info I need right now as my machine is on order and will arrive mid-September. I am learning sooooo much about the little things, that seem to turn into bigger things if you don't know how to deal with it right away. So thank you thank you thank you so much for this thread. I am on this forum every day and I learn something each and every day. I really appreciate all the women (and a few men too) who come here and share their valuable information.

Originally posted by kellysuequilter

Those are some really good tips! I was using my Millie the other day and it sounded really funky and there in the bobbin area was some thread all tangled up. I removed it and we are running smooth again!

Yes I had a Liberty but my husband thought I needed more quilting space so he insisted I get a Millie. Who am I to argue right! ;)

Kelly Sue Quilter;

Hi! I am amazed, you had your Liberty for all of 2 weeks (based on a previous post of yours) and your DH insists on you getting a Millie. I wish my DH was as wonderful as yours.

Did you buy a used Millie or a new one?

Congrats!

Joann

A couple of small tips:

I do a lot of practicing on graph paper. It helps me keep things proportioned correctly when I am learning a design.

I have trouble sometimes seeing the ditch on light colored fabric and therefore have difficulty staying in the ditch. The last quilt drove me nuts, until I took an air soluble marker and lightly ran it along the ditch. No more problems!!

When a spool of thread gets pretty low, I set it aside to wind some bobbins with what is left. The bobbins go in a bagette (I got them at Michaels in the bead section), marked with the type of thread and the color #. After a few months of doing this, I have numerous colors of my own prewound bobbins ready to go.

Never, ever, ever get distracted while advancing the quilt with the needle down. Disastrous things can happen...

Debbi

From a newbie to another--I find it hard to remember where the bar is underneath the quilt--and sometimes make straight lines because on runing into the end of the space--so I just put a few pieces of blue painters tape across the bottom where it is--is really helping me learn where that space is!!!

Debbi,

Great idea about the bobbins using up the last of your thread on the cone. Sometimes I wind too many bobbins for a quilt. I used to save those bobbins for basting but it seemed like such a waste. More often than not, I would not know for certain what the color on the bobbin was. Tan looks like cream looks like 402 or 403. I will have to get some of those bead bags to mark the color on the bags and use those bobbins for real work. :cool:

Georgene, I do the same thing with bobbin cases. Every time I place an order, I order another bobbin case or two. I keep one each in the little snack size baggies, with all the baggies on a metal ring. I've gone a little farther than you have and label the bobbin case with the exact thread as I find "poly" or "cotton" just won't cover it all. BL, Sew Fine, Polycore...all are a little different. I have to admit, tension adjustments are getting lots easier...I never thought I'd be able to say that:)

Lynne in Ann Arbor

Thanks Lynne,

Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates to stress over tension. I like the tension to be as near perfect as possible.

My list of 5 bobbin cases is probably only a start, because I haven't sewn with many threads yet. I won't hesitate to add more. Thanks for sharing. I was afraid I was over doing it.

Archived