stich checker?

On either side of the quilt where you have the extra 4-6 inches (or maybe 2-4inches) of batting and backing.  Just lay a piece of cotton on top and test your stitches; just make sure that it's not too close to the quilt. It will all be cut off when the quilt is trimmed.

Do you have the any of those white plastic clips (can't remember their technical name) used to hold down your quilt on the belly bar when you float a quilt?  If the quilt on the frame is not taking up the entire space, you can make a small sandwich of scraps (make sure the piece is long enough to go from the belly bar to the take-up roller) and scraps of the same batting that you are using in the current quilt; go over to the far left or right side of your mounted quilt, affix the scrap sandwich to the bars and do your test stitching.  Just remember to remove it before you go back to your quilt because the first time you roll, those clips will fire off in multiple directions.  Clear as mud?

• 4 months later...

This is what I do. I have a 2x6 piece of quilt sandwich I use. I put the one fabric end on back bar and use a magnetic bar I got from harbor freight. Then bring the other end over the front take up bar. You can use  clips or bar  to hold in place but I usually just hold it by leaning against the fabric. Then I can move my machine onto the sandwich and work with my stitching adjustment. Most of my quilts use the same batting. The sample quilt is easily removed or put back on when needed. Then go back to quilting the real one. Just an idea have also stitched on side like mentioned above.