Cross hatching

Can anyone tell me the largest cross hatching they have ever done? I have a client who requested this on a flannel quilt and want it done so that I end up with a square 6 1/2 ". Is this too big a spread and should I maybe suggest a smaller cross hatch?

Thanks again for your help.

Lib

Guest Linda S

Most battings, unless you pick something like thinsulate, will require that quilting be no more than 4" apart. I think the largest crosshatch I have ever done was 1.5"

Linda

I would suggest adding another line in between the existing crosshatch lines. This way you should have approx. 3.25 inch squares which most battings will accomodate. But it really depends on your batting.

Warm and Natural allows a greater distance, I think. Something like 8-10" if I recall correctly. It's been awhile since I've worked with it but you could probably find out what your batting requires through a web search.

I also think the Warm & Natural is 8-10". I've actually used decorative stitches with the warm & natural with at least 8" between the stitches. The quilts I did this way were years ago and have been washed once per week for 2 years with no bunching up or anything. The fabric is faded from being washed but the batting is still completely intact. But I do also agree that a crosshatching that large might be too large - what about SID, then cross hatching or am I off base?

Thank you all. It is warm and natural batting the client has given me but I decided to add the extra line. The 6 1/2 square was just too big and, besides, it looks much better with the lines closer together.

If I could figure out how to post pictures I would show everyone how the quilt turns out. Last time I tried that I got sooo frustrated I just about through the computor out the plate glass window!!

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are just excellent.

Lib

Archived