Freddie problem - bouncing in stitch regulated mode

I'm hoping some of the experts here can help me.  I bought a used 2018 Freddie.  The machine was partially disassembled when I picked it up and I did not test it.  The seller was contemplating keeping the machine until I told her I was seriously interested.

The machine is "bouncing" a lot in stitch regulated mode.  It is not a specific place on the table or carriage.  It's not affecting the stitch quality but it's difficult to see what I'm stitching and it's just downright unpleasant.  It's the same when I'm using the front or back handles.  I don't think it's harmonic vibration as this is happening at multiple speeds.  It does vibrate in manual mode at the standard speed, but if I lower the speed a couple of clicks, it's smooth.  Also any manual speed below that has no vibration.  I have an older 2008 Lenni (different table configuration) and it doesn't do this at all.  It happens without a quilt loaded so it's not just quilt is rolled too tight on the frame.  

Here is video of the bouncing (watch the top of the machine and not the needle bar area)  https://youtube.com/shorts/O47VL7fFQ1I?feature=share

Deluxe table with bliss, fabric advance, and casters (all in locked position).  Machine is set up in my basement on carpet over concrete floor (same location as the old machine).  The table is level and square.

Machine does not bounce when not mounted on machine, sitting on solid, basement floor.  It doesn't seem to be an issue with the machine itself.  

Lowered the table height - no change.  Put rubber floor protectors under each leg/wheel on the carpet - no change.  Put 2x2' 3/4 plywood sheathing under each leg - no change.  I completely disassembled the table and put it back together thinking maybe something got jarred loose when I moved it - no change.  Cleaned the bliss rails and wheels - no change.  

I've ordered the standard leg feet.  Other than that, I have no idea what else to try.  

Sue:  Check and make sure the wheels are properly adjusted.  With the vertical wheels on your Lenni, There was no up/down movement of the wheels because of the weight of the machine.  With the horizontal wheels, if the wheels are not tight, the machine can vibrate up and down.  I'd tighten the wheels until the machine requires a bit more effort to move it.  If you still have up/down bounce when you run the machine, then it's not the wheel adjustment.  If the bounce goes away, then it's the wheel adjustment.  If this solves the bounce problem, then I'd begin to slightly loosen the wheel adjustment, trying it each time until the machine moves with normal effort.  Good luck.  Jim

20 minutes ago, jimerickson said:

Sue:  Check and make sure the wheels are properly adjusted.  With the vertical wheels on your Lenni, There was no up/down movement of the wheels because of the weight of the machine.  With the horizontal wheels, if the wheels are not tight, the machine can vibrate up and down.  I'd tighten the wheels until the machine requires a bit more effort to move it.  If you still have up/down bounce when you run the machine, then it's not the wheel adjustment.  If the bounce goes away, then it's the wheel adjustment.  If this solves the bounce problem, then I'd begin to slightly loosen the wheel adjustment, trying it each time until the machine moves with normal effort.  Good luck.  Jim

I don't see a way to adjust the position of the wheels attached to the head that ride on the carriage.  They're in a fixed position and there are no cam nut adjusters like there are for the wheels on a non-bliss table.  

I've also been emailing back and forth with APQS and they've not had any other solutions other than working with the table stability.  

There's a dealer about an hour from me.  I've considered taking the machine to their store (they have rental machines) and see if they'll put it on their tables.  

Sue:  I think the adjustment is via assentric mounts on the wheels.  Loosen the bolt, then turn the wheel/axle, and the wheel itself should move in or out.  When you have the wheel in the proper position tighten the bolt and the adjustment is complete.

I can see from the photo that the wheel is not properly adjusted.  I think the rail should be completely within the wheel groove.  I don't know whether this adjustment will solve your problem (my guess is that it will) but I'm sure your wheels are mis-aligned.  I don't know whether the wheels on both sides of the machine can be adjusted, or if only one side is adjustable.  Maybe someone else here who has a horizontal wheel machine can chime in, or you can simply experiment with your machine and learn for yourself.  Good luck.  Jim

@dbams @ffq-lar Do you have any suggestions on comments on the wheel position for the sewing head wheels?

I found this post from several years ago.  If this is still applicable, then the sewing head wheels aren't in the correct position.  However, I don't see a way to adjust them.  It's just a regular carriage bolt that slides through the wheel then a small ring, a washer and the spacer below the axle.  The bolt goes into a threaded hole on the axle.  

https://forum.apqs.com/topic/36719-need-helptrouble-controlling-machine/?do=findComment&comment=503998

On 6/9/2022 at 1:40 PM, SueD said:

@dbams @ffq-lar Do you have any suggestions on comments on the wheel position for the sewing head wheels?

I found this post from several years ago.  If this is still applicable, then the sewing head wheels aren't in the correct position.  However, I don't see a way to adjust them.  It's just a regular carriage bolt that slides through the wheel then a small ring, a washer and the spacer below the axle.  The bolt goes into a threaded hole on the axle.  

https://forum.apqs.com/topic/36719-need-helptrouble-controlling-machine/?do=findComment&comment=503998

SueD, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the Bliss system, and have no insight about your wheel position.  Have you e-mailed APQS specifically about how to adjust the wheels?

5 minutes ago, dbams said:

SueD, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the Bliss system, and have no insight about your wheel position.  Have you e-mailed APQS specifically about how to adjust the wheels?

I've been trading emails with them for the last 3 weeks trying to resolve this.  Replacing the casters with the standard feet has helped somewhat but I still am seeing the bounce.  It seems to be more prevalent when the machine is moving front/back rather than sideways.  I'm not thrilled with the responses I've gotten on the emails.  I ask several questions and they don't answer all of them.  

• 1 month later...

Update - after multiple attempts at resolving at home, I made arrangements to take the head to a dealer about an hour away.  They have rental machines and had several tables set up.  We put my machine on their table and behaved the same.  We messed around with it for about an hour and then did a video chat with APQS.  They said they would look at that machine if I wanted to send it in, which I did.  They told me it had an "abnormal vibration" (hallelujah - I was right B)) and needed to replace the top shaft in the machine.  She said it was a rare issue.  She had multiple people test the machine but didn't tell them what was wrong and they immediately noticed a problem.  It'll be on the UPS truck later today and hopefully at my house on Friday.  :wub:

Sue

On 7/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, jimerickson said:

Thanks for letting us know what the problem is.  Please let us know what APQS factory did to repair it when the repairs are complete.  Jim 

Jim - they didn’t give me any other details other than replacing the top shaft. I think Angie said she’s only seen this problem one other time since she’s been at APQS. 

Sue