Upper Thread problem on Lenni - not tension

We recently moved my Lenni for the 2nd time (short trip) and this time the top thread pulls nicely until I put it through the tension disc.  I've loosed the disc to almost nothing, and it still pulls hard.  When I pull it through the needle, the needle bends, then there's a release.  When I try to bring up the bobbin thread, it pulls hard again.  It's not done this before and I am wondering what troubleshooting and/or repair I need to look at.  I used the machine for a year after the last move and it was fine.

Unthread and start from the beginning, you may have an extra loop somewhere.  Look very closely anywhere the thread touches (guides and check spring).  Over time your thread will wear a groove into those areas and cause tension issues or thread shredding.  Use a magnifying glass or grab the tread above and below the guide and drag it around the inside of the guide.  If there is a groove you will feel a slight catch.  If you find a groove on one of the pig tail guides loosen the screw and turn it upside down until you get a replacement.  I’ve also had a spool of thread that wasn’t wound properly that would catch and release causing all kinds of ugly tension every couple of feet.

Hopefully this gives you somewhere to start 

Nigel